Subject: [Speechsc] recognition-timeout

From: "Dan Burnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 18:51:00 -0500

Group,

Group,

Here is a different analysis that attempts to lay out the
timelines of the various events.  It is essentially a poorman's call
flow diagram based almost exclusively on the header descriptions in
section 9.4.  I think it helps clarify the impact of Andrew's
suggested change.  Please let me know if I have made a mistake
somewhere in this analysis.

Note that I didn't include the "007 speech-too-early" case because I
believe that
case is clear.

Hotword recognition case
------------------------
Recognizer begins listening.
When speech begins no event is generated, but the recognition-timeout
timer is started.
If this timer expires the recognition request completes with a status
code of "003 recognition-timeout".

If and when an end of speech candidate is detected, the
speech-complete-timeout and speech-incomplete-timeout timers are
started (if necessary, the start time is backed up to the time when
the speech finished).

If the speech-incomplete-timeout timer expires, then
a) if the speech heard so far is a valid partial match of one or more
active
grammars but not a complete match of any active grammar, the server
rejects (what does this mean in the context of hotword recognition?)
the partial result with a Completion-Cause of "partial-match".
b) if the speech heard so far is a complete match of an active grammar
but there exist one or more other complete matches for which the
speech heard so far is a valid partial match, then this timeout also
applies (what does this mean? -- does it mean the same response as in
a above?)
c) otherwise, continue

If the speech-complete-timeout timer expires, then
a) if the speech heard so far is a complete match of an active grammar
and is not a valid partial match of any other grammar, then ??
(this is the implied case of recognition completing successfully)
b) if the speech heard so far does not match any active grammar (what
does this mean?  Does it mean no partial match or are partial matches
permitted?), then
?? (this is the implied case of a nomatch result)
c) otherwise, continue

Regular recognition case
------------------------
Recognizer begins listening.
If the start-input-timers parameter is
a) true (either by default or set explicitly), then the no-input-timeout
timer is started.
b) false, then the no-input-timeout timer is started when (and only
when) a
   START-INPUT-TIMERS request is received by the server from the
   client.
If the no-input-timeout timer expires, then a RECOGNITION-COMPLETE
event is sent to the client with a Completion-Status of "002
no-input-timeout".

If and when speech is detected the following actions occur:
1) a START-OF-INPUT event is sent to the client
2) the recognition-timeout timer is started.  If this timer expires,
then
  a) if the spoken input so far was a full match (what does this
     mean?), then the recognition request completes with a status code
     of "008 success-maxtime".
  b) if the spoken input so far was not a full match, then ????
(Note:  action 2 here is what would change with Andrew's proposal -- it
would become 'the recognition request completes with a status code of
"003 recognition-timeout"', the same as in the hotword case.  This
would remove the success-maxtime case.)

If and when an end of speech candidate is detected, the
speech-complete-timeout and speech-incomplete-timeout timers are
started (if necessary, the start time is backed up to the time when
the speech finished).

If the speech-incomplete-timeout timer expires, then
a) if the speech heard so far is a valid partial match of one or more
active
grammars but not a complete match of any active grammar, the server
rejects (what does this mean?) the partial result with a
Completion-Cause of
"013 partial-match".
b) if the speech heard so far is a complete match of an active grammar
but there exist one or more other complete matches for which the
speech heard so far is a valid partial match, then this timeout also
applies (what does this mean? -- does it mean the same response as in
a above?)
c) otherwise, continue

If the speech-complete-timeout timer expires, then
a) if the speech heard so far is a complete match of an active grammar
and is not a valid partial match of any other grammar, then ??
(this is the implied case of recognition completing successfully)
b) if the speech heard so far does not match any active grammar (what
does this mean?  Does it mean no partial match or are partial matches
permitted?), then
?? (this is the implied case of a nomatch result)
c) otherwise, continue

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc