Subject: [speechsc] Lifetime of recorded resources

From: "Andrew Wahbe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:22:48 -0700

Similar to the issues discussed earlier concerning grammar lifetimes,
there seems to be no way to indicate that recorded audio (either saved
utterance waveforms or audio recorded with the recorder resource) is no
longer needed by the client. While these resources can be cleaned up by
the server on termination of a session, long running sessions could
cause a server to run out of storage space. I would guess that in most
cases, the resource could be purged once it had been fetched, but there
is no way to know for sure and the current language requires that the
resource be available until the end of the session. A quick fix may be
for the server to support HTTP DELETE, but that may be too big a change
at this stage in the process.
 
It would be beneficial to take a comprehensive look at resource storage
to address these sorts of problems. While such an effort may not be
feasible in the current MRCP v2 timeline, this is definitely a weak area
in the specification that should be noted for revision in any future
versions.
 
Andrew Wahbe
VoiceXML Forum MRCP Liaison Committee
_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc