Subject: [Speechsc] html version of draft-13

From: "Daniel C. Burnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:21:10 -0400

Here is an HTML version of draft-13 for those who prefer that format.

Hopefully the mailer will forward this properly.

-- dan

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc
Supplemental web site:
&lt;http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/speechsc&gt;

---

From: "Arthur Vernon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:57:19 +0800

For some time now I have taken the idea of resource discovery for granted in
the belief that it will solve many problems I expect to face when
implementing a multi-lingual system.
 
The example in section 7 is very much focussed on technology in the sense
that it indicates the supported formats for RTP streams. It also makes
mention of "Accept-Language" which is somewhat difficult to interpret given
no explicit definition in this specification and a HTTP declaration that is
from the client perspective (what its relative preferences are) not the
server perspective (what the speech resources can actually deal with).
 
The particular problem I have is that not all speech resources I am using
support all languages. There is also the consequence that preferential
characteristics for TTS like voice and age are not also globally supported. 
 
On one VXML platform I need to set a platform specific property to tell it
which TTS speech resource to use. On another I literally have to transfer
the call to an appropriate other VXML browser platform that is configured
with specific speech resources for the selected language. The first I find
to be an imposition on the client application and unwarranted coupling. The
latter is certainly limiting in the sense of being able to combine different
language snippets into one conversation!
 
So the questions are:
1.    Is the intent of the "Accept-Language" parameter to disclose a list of
the languages a speech resource supports? If not is there some other means
to do this?
2.    Is there any intention to support resource discovery beyond transport
protocols so that finer-grain selection of speech resources will be
possible?

Kind Regards,
Arthur Vernon
Lead Software Architect
IST Networks
Unit 5B, 1 Station St, Subiaco WA 6008 AUSTRALIA
(m) +61 411 336 176
(w) +61 (8) 6380 2058
_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc
Supplemental web site:
&lt;http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/speechsc&gt;