Subject: [Speermint] WG Review: Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect (speermint)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:20:08 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications and
Infrastruture Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational 
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list 
([email-masked]) by February 1st.

+++

Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect (speermint)
========================================================

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
  TBD

Real-time Applications and Infrastruture Area Directors
  TBD

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
  Allison Mankin      <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe:       [email-masked]
  In Body:            (un)subscribe
  Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speermint/index.html

Description of Working Group:

  The term "VoIP Peering" has historically been used to describe
  inter-provider network interconnect and the delivery of voice
  calls over interconnection points. While voice calls are the
  primary motivation for this today, other forms of real-time
  communications are and will continue to evolve as natural
  additions to such peering. Therefore, the focus of this working
  group is best generalized to describe calls as sessions, and to
  note that that such communications are inherently real-time in
  nature.

  SPEERMINT focuses architectures to identify, signal, and route
  delay-sensitive (real-time) communication sessions at the
  application level ("layer 5"). These sessions use the SIP
  signaling protocol to enable peering between two or more
  administrative domains over IP networks. Where these domains
  peer, or meet, the establishment of trust, security, and a
  resistance to abuse and attack are all important
  considerations.

  Note that the term "Layer 5 network" is used here to refer to
  the interconnection between application layer entities such as
  SIP servers, as opposed to interconnection at the IP network
  layer. However, in order to achieve real-time Session PEERing,
  both signaling and media flows must be taken into
  consideration. In addition, the working group recognizes that
  there will be use cases that require SPEERMINT to focus on the
  interaction between the application layer and lower network
  layers, or the dependence of specific application layer use
  cases on lower layers, so SPEERMINT will have to be prepared to
  solve these problems as they arise.

  More specifically, SPEERMINT focuses on real-time session
  routing architectures for "layer 5" networks and their associated
  use cases.  Deliverables here include the specification of the various
  types of application flows, such as signaling and media flows, in
  such networks, and includes both trunking and peer-to-peer
  flows. In addition, SPEERMINT considers and documents requirements
  for the feedback of operational conditions (e.g., congestion control)
  that enables the application of dynamic policy and recognizes
  that various mechanisms for achieving this should be studied as
  a potential part of any architecture. In future, as its initial
  work completes and the requirements become known, SPEERMINT may seek
  rechartering to consider various mechanism to support applying
  Quality of Service mechanisms, or to invoke layer 2 and layer 3
  peering in an architecturally sound way in support of real-time
  Session PEERING.  A charter discussion would consider how to
  work with mechanisms developed by other working groups, selecting
  and integrating those, but as stated, first the initial milestones
  must be completed.

  The most focused deliverables of SPEERMINT are best current practices
  regarding exchange of real-time sessions among VoIP and other
  real-time application service providers and, in particular, how
  such calls are routed. SPEERMINT will recognize that some of these
  providers also control underlying access networks
  (facilities-based), while others do not (not facilities-based),
  and this fact may present various additional requirements or
  use cases for consideration.  The working group will develop
  one or more use case documents to record the varieties of
  the practices, as well as use this recognition as a guide to
  maintaining the greatest possible separation of the application
  layer from lower layers.

  The SPEERMINT work plan is related to and distinct from the work
  plans of the ENUM and SIPPING working groups.  While the
  the ENUM Working Group is primarily concerned
  with the structure and lookup of data for the translation of
  E.164 numbers into URIs (RFC3761), SPEERMINT is concerned with
  the use of the resulting URI data, as well as non-ENUM-derived
  URI data, for use in signaling and routing of real-time
  sessions.  The SIPPING WG produced the original document in
  this area (RFC 3824).  The future work in this area will be
  produced by SPEERMINT, but RFC 3427, the SIP change process will
  be followed as needed.

  Issues that are out of scope for SPEERMINT include: 

  o Interoperability, and NITS/profiling of existing protocols
    such as SIP, RTP, and SRTP,

  o SPIT prevention. Note, however, that other working groups
    may release relevant specifications that become required or
    are referenced by various SPEERMINT uses cases and BCPs,

  o Routing of sessions which are not signaled using SIP. In
    particular, SPEERMINT is constrained to consider only those
    scenarios in which call routing is signaled using the SIP
    protocol and addressed by SIP or SIPS URIs. E.164 numbers and
    other national or private formats may only be used as defined
    within the SIP protocols, and 

  o H.323

In the goals and milestones, "submit" means to submit the document to the IESG
for publication.

---

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 2006 Submit SPEERMINT terminology I-D (Informational).

Sept 2006 Submit I-D defining the SPEERMINT routing architecture
          (Informational).

Dec 2006 Submit I-D defining the message flows associated with the
         SPEERMINT routing architecture (Informational).

Jan 2007 Submit I-D on the use of DNS SRV and NAPTR records as specified
         by RFC 3263 (BCP).

Mar 2007 Submit I-D on the minimum set of requirements for SIP-based
         VoIP interconnection (BCP).

Jul 2007 Submit I-D specifying the use of addressing forms and providing
         strong identities (BCP).

Jul 2007 Submit I-D(s) on use cases (BCP).

Jul 2007 Propose re-chartering for any additional efforts/considerations, 
         or propose conclusion of working group (following approval of
         last documents)

Input internet-drafts:
  draft-meyer-voipeer-terminology-01.txt

Request For Comments:
  None

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint