Subject: Re: [Speermint] Definition of "Peering"

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:31:17 +0200

This discussion is getting a bit too philosphical for my simple mind ;-)
 
>Balkanized? Walled gardens? Net-Neutrality? 
 
and political

I think we should work on improving the charter and the requirements
i.e. stick to ou knitting - this is only a little IETF WG ;-)
 
>How about a better, more useful
i>nternet that can enable differentiated services -- yet retains the
>neutrality and openness as core values.

But of course you are basically correct

Richard

________________________________

Von: Patrick Melampy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Do 30.03.2006 20:53
An: 'Otmar Lendl'; 'Michael Hammer (mhammer)'
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: RE: [Speermint] Definition of "Peering"

There is currently only one type of peering with one set of reciprocal
values that IP Network Owners have in the internet today. The real work of
this group should be to provide a method to exchange packets where there are
different reciprocal values based on a subset of the total packets
associated with a service (such as SIP signaled media). This must be done in
such a way that no existing services or reciprocal relationships are
affected. Additionally, the prevalent protocols used for Layer 3 networking
will not be easily extended -- thus the assumption should be made that an
architecture that assumes no major changes to BGP4 will be possible.

The requirements start at Layer 3 (IP Connectivity, and reachability) and
extend to addressing and location of endpoints in adjacent networks and
paths to endpoints more than one network hop away. The billing and business
models are just the icing on the cake.

Even in a world of e2e free internet-hippy style networking, the value of
each packet will be different based on the service the packet is part of.
This value will be a function of the layer 3 IP-IP interconnection. The
IETF's mission is to "make the internet better", and an internet that offers
each managed network participant the ability to extract maximum value is a
better internet.

No solution proposed by anybody will ever remove the best-efforts e2e
internet (Your safe Henry). Free services will always be available. The
reciprocal value of free services is just that -- exactly equal to the
reciprocal value or maximum routing efficiency. Thus the only time the value
exchange of peering relations for specific services matches exactly best
efforts exchanges is when the service is a zero cost, best efforts service.
In these cases, the network owner has no incentive to modify routing of
packets. Nor does the service provider have any incentive to deploy any
equipment other than the minimum requirements for best efforts.

Balkanized? Walled gardens? Net-Neutrality? How about a better, more useful
internet that can enable differentiated services -- yet retains the
neutrality and openness as core values.

-----Original Message-----
From: Otmar Lendl [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:29 AM
To: Michael Hammer (mhammer)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Speermint] Definition of "Peering"

On 2006/03/30 15:03, "Michael Hammer (mhammer)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> SIP Peering is the enablement of direct connection between SIP providers
> offering essential experience-enhancing services, without the need to
> resort to transit middlemen providing solely route discovery.

Michael,

So in the absence of an established SIP Peering: can users of SIP provider A
call
customers of SIP provider B?

If yes, how is that achieved?

-----------

I have the feeling that the members of this WG doesn't agree on
what the status quo is. No wonder that we have difficulties to
agree on what problem Speermint is supposed to solve.

/ol
--
< Otmar Lendl ([email-masked]) | nic.at Systems Engineer >

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: Ed Guy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:26:02 -0500

Hi All,

I put up a wiki at http://speermint.ipeerx.com/
It has David's definitions from reqs-and-terminology-01.

Feel free to edit away. (however,  that doesn't mean the
ID editor is under any obligation to use the results.)

Cheers
Ed Guy