Subject: RE: [Speermint] Updated Draft: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture

From: "Khan, Sohel Q [CTO]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:17:57 -0500

Duane,

Many people prefer their providers perform call filtering.
For example, cell phone users prefer that SPAMs are filtered by the cell
phone providers. 
Filtering in the provider's network instead of filtering in the cell
phone saves expensive wireless bandwidth. Also, in some countries, there
are regulations that cell phone providers filter SPAMs.

Sohel 

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:16 AM
To: Brian Rosen
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Speermint] Updated Draft: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture

Brian Rosen wrote:

> One of the things that we have to face is that most of us WILL accept 
> a call from someone we don't know.  We balance the risk of being 
> annoyed or offended against the risk of discovering something new that

> we like.  A business, as an example, doesn't want to miss a call from 
> a new customer, so it always accepts calls directed to its general
sales line from anyone.

I think things won't be as bad as they are now, if in future people can
run a small pbx to filter their calls, so rather then cold calls being
automated in a fashion they are now telemarketers will need to listed to
menu options before being connected to a person (this particular method
drops most cold calls I've found, since the system answers and waits for
  input but the telemarketer doesn't hit it in time so the system
trashes the call.

I liked the X.509 certs on TLS connections idea as well, and in the case
of CID being in enum you could also do a reverse lookup and/or some
other record type to determine where calls are supposed to come from (I
hate to say it - "SPF style").

Although if some kind of CID verification is establish at this point in
time things might not get out of hand like they have with email.

-- 

Best regards,
  Duane

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:01:27 -0400

> are regulations that cell phone providers filter SPAMs.

Ummm I thought the regulation put the onus on the SPAMers to filter 
their own calls or face hefty fines, although to date I think earthlink 
is the only one that has been fined.

-- 

Best regards,
  Duane

http://www.cacert.org - Free Security Certificates
http://www.nodedb.com - Think globally, network locally
http://www.sydneywireless.com - Telecommunications Freedom
http://e164.org - Because e164.arpa is a tax on VoIP

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
     but the optimist has a better time on the trip."