Subject: [Speermint] comments on speermint requirements

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:25:03 -0400

Here are some comments on the requirements document. As I mentioned in 
my review of the requirements document, I have not been an active 
participant on the list so some of these may have been discussed. My 
apologies in that case.

A general comment on the draft; the requirements right now are not much 
more than an enumeration of required protocols. Is that the ultimate 
game? I was hoping to find in here a description of the various types of 
policy information that needs to be discovered and justifications for 
it, requirements around discovery, anonymity, and so on. Is that the 
target? Peering generally can involve many things, including diagnostics 
and call trace, billing and accounting, QoS and IP interconnect issues, 
call routing, security, privacy, and so on. Which are covered and which 
are not? Seems like a requirements document would cover that.

other specific comments:

> 2.5.  Independence of lower layers
> 
>    The system needs to be independent of details on what technologies
>    are used route the call and which are used to ensure that only
>    approved peering partner actually connect to the destination SIP

I think by 'route the call' you mean IP layer interconnect, but that is 
not the normal definition for 'route the call'.

>   o  The following RFCs SHOULD be supported: Reliability of Provisional
>       Responses in SIP - PRACK [RFC3262], the SIP UPDATE method (for
>       e.g. for codec changes during a session) [RFC3311], the Reason
>       header field [RFC3326].

There is an implicit assumption here, which is that a provider has 
control over its endpoints and is able to introduce requirements on the 
features those endpoints support. This is (perhaps unfortunately) 
largely true today. However, it is an assumption with deep 
repercussions, and I am not sure if it has been discussed and agreed upon.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint