Subject: [Speermint] Terminology: VSP & Co

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:24:50 -0400

Here are the terms from ECRIT:

3.2  Service Providers

    Internet Attachment Provider (IAP): An organization that provides
       physical and data link (layer 2) network connectivity to its
       customers or users, e.g., through digital subscriber lines, cable
       TV plants, Ethernet, leased lines or radio frequencies.  Examples
       of such organizations include telecommunication carriers,
       municipal utilities, larger enterprises with their own network
       infrastructure, and government organizations such as the military.

    Internet Service Provider (ISP): An organization that provides IP
       network-layer services to its customers or users.  This entity may
       or may not provide the physical-layer and data link (layer-2)
       connectivity, such as fiber or Ethernet, i.e., it may or may not
       play the role of an IAP.

    Application Service Provider (ASP): The organization or entity that
       provides application-layer services, which may include voice (see
       "Voice Service Provider").  This entity can be a private
       individual, an enterprise, a government, or a service provider.
       An ASP is more general than a Voice Service Provider, since
       emergency calls may use other media beyond voice, including text
       and video.  For a particular user, the ASP may or may not be the
       same organization as his IAP or ISP.

    Voice Service Provider (VSP): A specific type of Application Service
       Provider which provides voice related services based on IP, such
       as call routing, a SIP URI, or PSTN termination.  In this
       document, unless noted otherwise, any reference to "Voice Service
       Provider" or "VSP" may be used interchangeably with "Application/
       Voice Service Provider" or "ASP/VSP".

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-12.txt

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint