Subject: RE: [Speermint] Basic Peering Requirements

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:50:11 -0600

Hi,

Just counting how many messages will keep going with the same subject
thread.

Jim wrote:
> etc. With SIP peering, the analogues of these things could become
> visible to everyone: eg the name and addresses of the company's SIP
> servers that act as their internet/PSTN gateways. Telcos tend to
> consider this kind of thing to be sensitive data.
True but email is the model to replicate here, not the PSTN. 
As I'm sure you know, if you do a packet sniffer trace on a few VoIP or
IM services today, you will find out the ingress and egress SBEs. Google
apps provides you with SRVs for IMs within a domain - nothing to hide.
 
And as Mike says, it may not reveal much more than the next hop
providing an authentication service (in the RFC4474 sense). Providers
should not rely on the fact that the address resolution of SBEs is
secure because it is (thought to be) hidden.

Jean-Francois.

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:20:17 +0100

> True but email is the model to replicate here, not the PSTN.

Try convincing a long-established telco that's the case. :-)

> apps provides you with SRVs for IMs within a domain - nothing to hide.

True. Then again, google is not a telco. At least not an incumbent.  
For some definition of telco or incumbent. :-)