Subject: [Speermint] avoiding transcoding and discussions at the interim

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 05:53:40 -0600

All,

    This message is not to re-open any codec discussion: I'm just
posting the example we discussed so that it is not lost, especially
since some folks were interested in the requirements to think about
potential solutions for this.

   There was a brief discussion on how transcoding could be avoided in
some cases on indirect session peering. 
An example of use case could be: enterprise A and enterprise B end up in
exchanging media sessions directly but the signaling is done via an
intermediary whose domain policy is forcing some codec selection that
results in media transcoding even though SIP devices from A and B
actually support a common codec. 
	endpoints A support codec set (a, b)
	endpoints B: codec set (b, c)
	enterprise A goes through an intermediary whose domain policy
forces A to choose codec (a) => this results in transcoding no matter
what b chooses.

I don't think there was enough discussion to capture this requirement as
a refinement of "transcoding SHOULD be avoided" so this is not in the
updated requirements ID.

Just thought I'd post it on the list for further discussions.
Jean-Francois.

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint