Subject: [Speermint] RFC 6404 on Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect (SPEERMINT) Security Threats and Suggested Countermeasures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 18:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6404

        Title:      Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect 
                    (SPEERMINT) Security Threats and Suggested 
                    Countermeasures 
        Author:     J. Seedorf, S. Niccolini,
                    E. Chen, H. Scholz
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    saverio.niccolini@.neclab.eu, 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 54066
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-speermint-voipthreats-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6404.txt

The Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect (SPEERMINT) working
group (WG) provides a peering framework that leverages the building
blocks of existing IETF-defined protocols such as SIP and ENUM for
the interconnection between SIP Service Providers (SSPs).  The
objective of this document is to identify and enumerate SPEERMINT-
specific threat vectors and to give guidance for implementers on
selecting appropriate countermeasures.  Security requirements for
SPEERMINT that have been derived from the threats detailed in this
document can be found in RFC 6271; this document provides concrete
countermeasures to meet those SPEERMINT security requirements.  In
this document, the different security threats related to SPEERMINT
are classified into threats to the Lookup Function (LUF), the
Location Routing Function (LRF), the Signaling Function (SF), and the
Media Function (MF) of a specific SIP Service Provider.  Various
instances of the threats are briefly introduced inside the
classification.  Finally, existing security solutions for SIP and
RTP/RTCP (Real-time Transport Control Protocol) are presented to
describe countermeasures currently available for such threats.  Each
SSP may have connections to one or more remote SSPs through peering
or transit contracts.  A potentially compromised remote SSP that
attacks other SSPs is out of the scope of this document; this
document focuses on attacks on an SSP from outside the trust domain
such an SSP may have with other SSPs.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC