Subject: Re: SPIRITS - Information

From: Tom Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:21:26 -0500

Kindred Spirits:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/spirits-charter.html
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-faynberg-spirits-protocol-00.txt

Comparing the charter and first draft, "Toward Definition of the
Protocol for PSTN-initiated Services Supported by PSTN/Internet
Interworking" by Faynberg et al., I have a few basic questions, which
those of you who were fortunate enough to attend the Washington
meeting may have answers to:

1. Current practices: Will a separate draft be prepared for an
Informational Track RFC that "describes current practices for
supporting the services in question"? Does anyone have an outline
online?

2. Architecture: Will a separate draft be prepared for "the overall
architecture of SPIRITS-type services"? Does anyone have an outline
online? Can you indicate which parts of the Faynberg draft will go
into the architecture document such as the reference model (figure 1
in the appendix), or is the entire Faynberg draft actually the
"overall architecture of SPIRITS-type services"? Furthermore, are we
concerned about service architecture or functional architecture? If
the former, where have services been classified? Which category system
do Spirits use? (See following question.)

3. Services: "The WG will focus on an event-oriented design, rather
than a service-oriented design. Specific services to be considered
initially as examples are: (1) Incoming Call Notification (Internet
Call Waiting); (2) Internet Caller-Id Delivery; and (3) Internet Call
Forwarding and `Follow Me'." There are other services that could be
considered, for example:

http://veda-home.com/fullsvcs.gif
http://veda-home.com/tina.gif
http://veda-home.com/bisdn.gif
http://veda-home.com/nbisdn.gif

iCallWaiting, iCallerID and iCallForwarding are important services.
Will others be considered in the upcoming drafts and RFCs?

Approximately what is meant by event-oriented vs. service-oriented
design?

4. Collaborations and relationships among WGs and protocols: "SPIRITS
will collaborate with other IETF WG's working on similar issues and
having expertise in PSTN/IP interworking (IPTEL, MMUSIC, PINT, SIP).
SPIRITS will also establish communication with other relevant standard
bodies (ITU-T SG11)." The explosion of IETF WGs is a wonder to behold.
But someone more capable than I might be persuaded to outline an
Informational or Historical Track document that describes the
relationships among Iptel, Mmusic, Pint, Sip, Spirits, Megaco and any
other WGs and protocols of relevance. To be sure, the establishment of
"communication with other relevant [standards] bodies" would be
beneficial but the explicating of intra-IETF relationships seems of
equal or greater value.

--Regards, Tom Scott
-----------------------------------------------------------
Tom Nelson Scott             Phone: 1-419-354-5700
The Veda Home Company        Fax: 1-419-354-5705
1411 Sheffield Drive         Email: [email-masked]
Bowling Green OH 43402       http://veda-home.com
"In IP We Trust"       "E Pluribus Unix"       "Java Rules"
-----------------------------------------------------------

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: SPIRITS - Information
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 12:46:49 -0400
From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Organization: Lucent Technologies, Bell Laboratories Innovation
To: SPIRITS list <[email-masked]>,pin list
<[email-masked]>,pint list
<[email-masked]>
CC: Steve Bellovin <[email-masked]>

Well, it happened!
SPIRITS (Service in the PSTN/IN Requesting InTernet Service) is a
reality now!

Our Official Page:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/spirits-charter.html

The SPIRITS Mailing List:
To post to the mailing list, send email to
[email-masked]. DO NOT SEND SUBSCRIPTION
REQUESTS
TO THE MAILING LIST.
To subscribe or unsubscribe yourself to the mailing list, send a
message
to:
[email-masked]
with the single word subscribe or unsubscribe in the body.
If the above instructions do not work for you and you need to contact
a
human, please send email to [email-masked].

Additional Page and mailing list archive:
http://www.bell-labs.com/mailing-lists/spirits/

Our first I-D, Toward Definition of the Protocol for PSTN-initiated
Services Supported by PSTN/Internet Interworking, is available from:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-faynberg-spirits-protocol-00.txt

SPIRITS first meeting is on TUESDAY, November 9, 1999 at 0900 through
1130, according to the current IETF Agenda.
We are still massaging different ideas for the meeting agenda and
would
like to hear suggestions from this list.

There is a lot of work in front of us, let us have good spirits,
Steve Bellovin,
Alec Brusilovsky

P.S. Special thanks to Jim Buller for coming up with the WG name. It
is
quite Halloweenish and just in time for it.

---

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:26:31 -0500

Tom,

Steve and I are preparing Meeting Notes from our November meeting in Washington,
DC. Those notes will be available pretty soon now. I will try to answer some of
your questions below.

Regards,
Alec Brusilovsky

Tom Scott wrote:

> supporting the services in question"?

That is recommended.

> Does anyone have an outline
> online?
>

Negative at this time. However, we have a list of volunteers to compose that I-D
and RFC.

> architecture of SPIRITS-type services"?

Please define "the overall architecture of SPIRITS-type services".
According to our Charter, we have to focus on three example services not for the
purpose of standardizing those services, but for the purpose of defining building
blocks for SPIRITS services.

> Does anyone have an outline
> online?

Same answer as to your previous outline question. Good idea, though. What would
be an outline that you have in mind?

> Can you indicate which parts of the Faynberg draft will go
> "overall architecture of SPIRITS-type services"?

This has to be discussed on the mailing list.

> Furthermore, are we

TINA Architecture diagram

> http://veda-home.com/tina.gif

TINA Services

> http://veda-home.com/bisdn.gif

BroadBand ISDN Services Diagram from the ITU "Blue Book", 1988

> http://veda-home.com/nbisdn.gif

NarrowBand ISDN Services Diagram from the ITU "Blue Book", 1988

Tom, what are the services from these diagrams that you would like to be
considered for SPIRITS?

> Will others be considered in the upcoming drafts and RFCs?

SPIRITS WG can only consider extension of the Charter after completing it's
present Charter.

> Approximately what is meant by event-oriented vs. service-oriented

Three service examples from our Charter are just service examples. We will focus
on the requests, coming from PSTN/IN, and carrying information needed to execute
services in the IP network, as well as on the response from the IP world, going
back to the PSTN/IN.. We, obviously, cannot expect more information from the
PSTN/IN than is defined and is available in the PSTN.
We will focus on building blocks for PSTN - IP services, starting in the PSTN/IN
from PSTN/IN events. These building blocks will be used in creation of more then
three example services.

> beneficial but the explicating of intra-IETF relationships seems of

Tom, just as our Charter says: "SPIRITS will collaborate with other IETF WG's
working on similar issues and
having expertise in PSTN/IP interworking..."