Subject: [SPIRITS] Submission of the Pre-SPIRITS Implementation draft for Informational RFC

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:56:00 -0500

Scott,

According to Section 7.5 of RFC 2418, the SPIRITS chairmen are
submitting the  I-D 'draft-ietf-spirits-implementations-01',
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spirits-implementations-01.txt

for the IESG consideration on the subject of approval its publication as
an Informational RFC.

This draft has been a working item and a milestone in the SPIRITS
charter, it has undergone a six weeks long WG Last Call and has
incorporated comments/changes from the SPIRITS WG constituency.
Presently, this I-D reflects the consensus of the SPIRITS WG.

The abstract of the draft is attached.

Regards,

Steve Bellovin
Alec Brusilovsky

*******************************************************
Abstract

This document contains information relevant to the work underway in
The Services in the PSTN/IN Requesting InTernet Services (SPIRITS)
Working Group. It describes four existing implementations of
SPIRITS-like services from Korea Telecom, Lucent Technologies, NEC,
and Telia in cooperation with Nortel Networks. SPIRITS-like services
are those involved in the interactions of the Internet and Public
Switched Telephony Network (PSTN) and, in particular, the
interactions initiated by the PSTN.

Surveying the implementations, we can make the following observations:

o The ICW service plays the role of a benchmark service. All four
    implementations can support ICW, with three specifically designed
for it.

o SIP is used in most of the implementations as the base communi-
   cations protocol between the PSTN and Internet. (NEC's implemen-
    tation is the only exception that uses a proprietary protocol.
    Nevertheless, NEC has a plan to support SIP together with the
    extensions for SPIRITS services.)

o All implementations use IN-based solutions for the PSTN part.

It is clear that not all pre-SPIRITS implementations inter-operate with
each other. It is also clear that not all SIP-based implementa-tions
inter-operate with each other given that they do not support
the same version of SIP.  It is a task of the SPIRITS Working Group to
define the inter-networking interfaces that will support inter-operation
of the future implementations of SPIRITS services.