Subject: [SPIRITS] Half-Pint

From: "Michael O'Doherty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:33:28 +0100

Hi,

I have submitted a new draft entitled 'Half-Pint' which as the name (kind of
...) suggests is a lightweight, restricted take on the functionality
provided by the PINT protocol.

The idea is to try to hit the high runner things that web developers wanting
to integrate web applications with the PSTN want to do right now, and make
it available in a way that web developers are familiar with and can work
with right away. 

The natural place to discuss this would have been the PINT group, but
unfortunately it is not around anymore, so I'm sending this notice onto to
some other groups that may be interested in this type of thing to get
feedback and comments.

Cheers,

Mick O'Doherty.

P.S. I've attached the draft to this email as the version in the archives
has picked up a few formatting errors somehow and is not quite fixed up yet.

 <<draft-odoherty-half-pint-00.txt>>

---

From: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:32:53 -0400

Mick,

Actually, the PINT mailing list (copied here) remains open for the
discussion. Yet, the scope of your draft, which I had read with
interest, also includes SPIRITS--in my opinion--inasmuch as it discusses
notifications. (By the way, for some reason, your draft makes no
references to any of the PINT or SPIRITS RFCs, nor does it reference
ther architecture.)

You explain the draft as a "ligthweight, restricted take on the
functionality provided by the PINT protocol)," but I think that what
draft describes is effectively an API, not a protocol, and at that it
extends rather than restricts the present PINT services. [You may want
to look at an earlier draft by Lev Slutsman ([email-masked]), which
you could obtain from him directly, since it expired, where he proposed
the requirements for PINT conference calling.] I would not call the API
you describe  "half-PINT"; to me it really looks like "seven-PINT"
(e.g., you describe capabilities for much more than ordering a two-party
call or sending fax from the web).

I use the word API, because what you describe is primitives and
parameters for invoking the services. The protocol, on the other hand,
would address the transport of the information among the involved
entities  (hence the need for the architecture). 

Finally, your draft does not have a security section, and does not
mention security at all, which is again an indication that the
application interface (rather than the protocol) is being discussed.

Having said all that, I believe that your draft presents an interesting
and potentially useful set of framework requirements that would allow to
re-use the existing PINT and in-progress SPIRITS building blocks to
deliver many new services while using the existing protocol.
(Incidentally, SIP was chosen as PINT transport vehicle primarily
because it had already solved security and addressing problems.)

Personally, I would like your work to progress. I would suggest that you
look at the PINT protocol RFC and the present SPIRITS requirements and
see whether the existing protocol could satisfy the requirements of your
API. If not, you should suggest modifications. Then, if Lawrence Conroy
and Scott Petrack agree, the PINT protocol could be extended. At the
same time, if the SPIRITS chairmen agree, the SPIRITS could take your
work in account, too.

Note that PINT has been already implemented as is. (And, in addition,
there are PINT-like services supported by other protocols.)

Respectfully,

Igor Faynberg

> Michael O'Doherty wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I have submitted a new draft entitled 'Half-Pint' which as the name
> (kind of ...) suggests is a lightweight, restricted take on the
> functionality provided by the PINT protocol.
> 
> The idea is to try to hit the high runner things that web developers
> wanting to integrate web applications with the PSTN want to do right
> now, and make it available in a way that web developers are familiar
> with and can work with right away.
> 
> unfortunately it is not around anymore, so I'm sending this notice
> onto to some other groups that may be interested in this type of thing
> to get feedback and comments.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Mick O'Doherty.
> 
> P.S. I've attached the draft to this email as the version in the
> archives has picked up a few formatting errors somehow and is not
> quite fixed up yet.
> 
>                                       Name: draft-odoherty-half-pint-00.txt
>    draft-odoherty-half-pint-00.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                                   Encoding: quoted-printable

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits