Subject: [SPIRITS] IETF52 meeting notes

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:54:52 -0600

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please find below our meeting notes from the SPIRITS meeting on 12/11/01.
These notes have to be submitted to the IETF prior to the 01/14/02 date. 
I would appreciate if you let Steve and myself know about any additions 
and/or changes before the deadline.

Kind regards,
Alec

******************
52nd. IETF SPIRITS Working Group Meeting Notes

Reported by Alec Brusilovsky.
Recorded by Hui-Lan Lu and Zachary Zeltsan, who deserve sincerest 
gratitude from both co-chairs for
performing an excellent job.

SPIRITS WG met in the afternoon of Tuesday, December 11, 2001.
There were 32 registered attendees. That unexpectedly low attendance is 
attributed to the
unresolved scheduling conflict with the SIPPING WG.

Chairs: Steve Bellovin, Alec Brusilovsky

Agenda

1. Agenda bashing - 2 min.
2. Current status of SPIRITS Protocol Requirements - Informational RFC 
candidate - 3 min.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spirits-reqs-02.txt
3. SIP Events Package for the SPIRITS protocol - discussion - Igor 
Faynberg - 15 min.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spirits-sip-evt-package-01.txt 

4. On XML generation and encoding of SPIRITS parameters - John-Luc 
Bakker - 12 min.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-unmehopa-spirits-parameter-generation-00.txt 

5. On the outline of the SPIRITS Protocol document - discussion - 18 
min. (Please see Vijay's
proposed outline at the mailing list)
6. SCE utilizing SCML for SPIRITS services - John-Luc Bakker - 5 min. 
(only if time allows)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bakker-jain-scml-00.txt
7. Conclusions - 5 min.

Agenda item 1:
Chair (A.B.) went through the changes in the agenda and the agenda 
bashing. Proposed agenda was
accepted without any changes or additions.

Agenda Item 2:
Issue: SPIRITS Protocol Requirements I-D has been returned from IESG for 
re-work.
Recommendation: Resubmit the document with re-worded Abstract to the 
IESG in January.

Agenda Item 3:
Issue: Igor Faynberg presented are two options for building SPIRITS 
Event tree:
1. Full hierarchy table - further sub-package the INDPs, such that each 
DP corresponds to a unique
package name, which has to be registered with IANA.
2. Move leaves to the body - to carry the specific DP information in the 
body of the SUBSCRIBE.
Under this scheme, the set of DP names (OAA, CI, OA, etc.) is specified 
in the XML DTD so that no deviation from these is possible.
Recommendation: Going ahead with the second option will allow to specify 
the SPIRITS protocol
without new SIP header. That alone will insure faster completion of the 
specifications. Thus, from
a non-tecnical point of view the second option is preferred.

Agenda Item 4:
Objective: automatically generate XML to transparently produce data type 
and parameters definitions.
Issues:
ASN.1 -to-XML and IDL to XML generation using standard language mappings 
and tools.
Question: Conversion and generation is not relevant to the protocol. Why 
XML generation is
important for spirits?
Answer: Truly, ASN.1 -to-XML conversion is not a part of the SPIRITS 
protocol. However, SPIRITS
protocol cannot be successfully adopted by the developers' community 
without specifying standard
language mappings and tools. Therefore, it is relevant.
Recommendations to be discussed on the mailing list:
1. XML schema instead of DTD for the Spirits
2. Intermediate step generation XML schema via DTD

Agenda Item 5:
There were no additions or changes to the proposed Protocol document 
outline.

Agenda Item 6:
Due to lack of time this item is to be discussed on the mailing list

Agenda Item 7:
Conclusions. Both chairs asked meeting participants, interested in 
contributing to the Protocol
Document, to send private E-mails

Other: Lawrence Conroy requested time to discuss PINT position with 
regards to the updated SIP
SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY. Due to the importance of PINT compatibility with the 
SPIRITS protocol the request
was granted.
Action: PINT editors will produce report on what should be done with 
PINT to ensure its
compatibility with SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY. That report will be published for 
discussion on the PINT,
SPRITS and SIP mailing lists.

Respectfully submitted,
Alec Brusilovsky

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits