Subject: [SPIRITS] 3/19 meeting summary

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:46:29 -0600

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please review a brief summary of our Minneapolis meeting on
March 19.
The discussion at the meeting stemmed from the SPIRITS
Protocol I-D:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-spirits-protocol-01.txt

1. Keep SPIRITS Event package as part of the SPIRITS
protocol I-D, as opposed to splitting it into a separate I-D
to develop in parallel;
2. Split IN description, parameters, information flows, etc.
from the protocol I-D, combine this material with IN and XML
encoding related material from
draft-ietf-spirits-in-02.txt and
draft-unmehopa-spirits-parameter-generation-00
Both of these I-D's have valuable information on PSTN/IN,
INAP parameters description, examples of INAP
encoding into XML and examples of using automatic tools from
ITU-T to generate XML DTDs from INAP ASN.1.
Advantages: localized changes, easier maintenance, reduction
in size of the protocol specification, uniform reference
from other I-Ds (or RFCs) (SIN?), speeding up SPIRITS specs
development.
Disadvantages: dependency.
The resulting I-D to be submitted to the IESG as an
Informational RFC candidate before the next meeting.
Musa Unmehopa and Kumar Vemuri volunteered to lead this
work.
3. ICIDD is a better example of SPIRITS service than ICW.
Vijay presented ICIDD service example utilizing TAA at the
meeting;
4. Existing MIME types seem to be sufficient for SPIRITS. No
compelling need to invent another one;
5. There is an urgent need to define parameter lists,
corresponding XML DTDs and Schemas for SUBSCRIBE methods;
6. SPIRITS security might rely on SIP security with
exception of Interface B that traverses both administrative
and PSTN/IP domains.
7. When dealing with IANA issues, protocol document editors
have to be explicitly clear and define sufficiently what
needs to be registered;

It was a good working meeting with about 100 attendants.

What's next?
Continue protocol development. We plan to submit SPIRITS
Protocol I-D to the IESG in three to six months, preferably,
together with SPIRITS MIB I-D.
We need help with Wireless events and their specific
parameters, need help with expanding the Security
Considerations section, and we really need volunteers to
assist/drive with MIB.
Please contact Steve or myself if you would like to
volunteer.

Kind regards,
Alec

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:56:36 -0600

> Please review a brief summary of our Minneapolis meeting on

Alec:

> compelling need to invent another one;

My recollection differs; I left it as an open issue saying
that if anyone knows a MIME type we can (re)use, please let me know.
Otherwise, we will have to register application/spirits-event
as a new MIME type.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

---

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:38:14 -0600

Vijay,

It seems like you are right. I checked my note and the MIME type was not decided
at the meeting, but rather deferred to the online discussion. However, it would
be truly nice to be able to reuse an existing MIME type.

Thanks for the correction,
Alec