Subject: [SPIRITS] rfc author instructions

From: Steve Bellovin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:00:45 -0500

There are some new policies and guidelines on RFCs that authors should 
note.  Quite simply, the IESG and the RFC editor will not publish 
documents that do not conform to these policies.  (Note that I'm 
wearing my co-chair hat when I say this, not my IESG hat -- I don't 
have the ability to change these policies.)

The most problematic, for some people and some documents, is the restriction
on the number of authors for an RFC.  The intent is that the "author" 
list on the title page be limited to those who have actually 
contributed a significant amount of text.  If there are a lot of people 
who have contributed text, the recommended solution is to list one or 
two people as "editors", and have a "contributors" section that lists 
everyone else.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html
http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb
		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits