Subject: Re: [SPIRITS] Daniel Moreno's I-D on Mobility Management

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:37:59 -0500

Alec Brusilovsky wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
> 
> Please take a look at the new I-D "Mobility Events Management in 
> SPIRITS" that was posted by Daniel Moreno and is available from:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moreno-mobility-events-00.txt
> 
> This I-D describes in detail mobility events as per SPIRITS Architecture 
> and SPIRITS Protocol Requirements.

Daniel:

Thanks for getting this out -- we need some mobility expertise for the
protocol document, and I am hoping to tap into you for this.

Taking a look at your I-D, I have the following comment: I am trying to
use the nomenclature of "subscriber" and "notifier" in relating to the
SPIRITS entities in the SPIRITS protocol I-D.  Unfortunately, the terms
"client" and "server" are severly over-loaded; using "subscriber" and
"notifier" makes it clear which entity subscribes to the PSTN events
(SPIRITS server) and which one generates the notification (SPIRITS
client).

Also, I will be working on updating the SPIRITS protocol I-D and would
love to include a service call flow based on mobility events.  I will
get in touch with you to work out the details of such a service.  For
right now, I am toying with the following mobility services:

    (1) When a mobil phone registers, the event generates a notification
        to interested parties,
    (2) A mobil phone sends a SMS, which gets transformed to an IM and
        delivered to an Internet host (the SIP IM "page" model)
    (3) Location-based service: I personally would love this service
        since my spouse has the car today -- it would be great if an
        IM could pop up on my work computer when she is within 1 mile
        radius of my office.  Then, I can wind work down and meet her
        outside my office.

If anyone has any other ideas, please lets discuss them; I definitely
need a mobility/wireless service for the protocol I-D which I am
currently revising for 54th IETF.

Best regards,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

---

From: "Unmehopa, Musa (Musa)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 11:49:47 +0200

Hi,

> I am inclined to think that if the DP is
> detected in CAMEL, then a SPIRITS service is
> possible.  All things being equal, SPIRITS
> should not really care if CAMEL or CS-x is being
> used underneath.

This is exactly what <draft-unmehopa-spirits-parameter-generation-00.txt> is about.

Furthermore, the process of identifying which parameters to carry, as described in <draft-ietf-spirits-in-01.txt> equally applies to CAMEL. It is unfortunate that we did not further investigate the ASN.1-to-XML generation.

cheers,

Musa