Subject: Re: [SPIRITS] Daniel Moreno's I-D on Mobility Management

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:31:55 +0200

Hi Vijay:
I agree with you that the terms "subscriber" and "notifier" could be clearer for services
specifications. I decided to use the server and client terms in order to respect the entities
defined in SPIRITS architecture, but if we think about services running over SIP the former terms
could be used if the correspondences with the formal ones are mentioned.

I have some doubts about the possible implementation of the services you've mentioned:
In service (2) you are taking for granted that the sending of a SMS will be a Detection Point. I
think that this kind of action is not considered in the SPIRITS protocol, although it is in CAMEL
phase 3.
Service (3) is a good idea, but I think you won't be able to select the radius, as the mobility
event will be triggered whenever her mobile phone moves to another Service Area, which could be
larger than you wish (depends on the Operator's network design pattern). Anyway, you would be
noticed when she was getting in your Service area, but probably further than 1 mile (depends on your
own position too).

I'll be glad to help you as much as I can, of course. Good ideas are always wellcome.

Kind regards,
Daniel Moreno.

"Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>@lists.bell-labs.com con fecha 16/05/2002 00:37:59

Enviado por:   [email-masked]

Asunto:   Re: [SPIRITS] Daniel Moreno's I-D on Mobility Management

Alec Brusilovsky wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Please take a look at the new I-D "Mobility Events Management in
> SPIRITS" that was posted by Daniel Moreno and is available from:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moreno-mobility-events-00.txt
>
> This I-D describes in detail mobility events as per SPIRITS Architecture
> and SPIRITS Protocol Requirements.

Daniel:

Thanks for getting this out -- we need some mobility expertise for the
protocol document, and I am hoping to tap into you for this.

Taking a look at your I-D, I have the following comment: I am trying to
use the nomenclature of "subscriber" and "notifier" in relating to the
SPIRITS entities in the SPIRITS protocol I-D.  Unfortunately, the terms
"client" and "server" are severly over-loaded; using "subscriber" and
"notifier" makes it clear which entity subscribes to the PSTN events
(SPIRITS server) and which one generates the notification (SPIRITS
client).

Also, I will be working on updating the SPIRITS protocol I-D and would
love to include a service call flow based on mobility events.  I will
get in touch with you to work out the details of such a service.  For
right now, I am toying with the following mobility services:

    (1) When a mobil phone registers, the event generates a notification
        to interested parties,
    (2) A mobil phone sends a SMS, which gets transformed to an IM and
        delivered to an Internet host (the SIP IM "page" model)
    (3) Location-based service: I personally would love this service
        since my spouse has the car today -- it would be great if an
        IM could pop up on my work computer when she is within 1 mile
        radius of my office.  Then, I can wind work down and meet her
        outside my office.

If anyone has any other ideas, please lets discuss them; I definitely
need a mobility/wireless service for the protocol I-D which I am
currently revising for 54th IETF.

Best regards,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

---

From: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:44:10 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
>...
> I decided to use the server and client terms in order to respect the entities
> defined in SPIRITS architecture...
>

Well, it is a very serious and sound consideration. I agree that it it
is better not to redefine the terminology now.

Igor

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:57:03 -0500

Igor Faynberg wrote:
> [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>>...
>>I decided to use the server and client terms in order to respect the 
>>entities defined in SPIRITS architecture...
> 

Igor:

I am not by any means suggesting that we re-define terminology at all;
it stays as it is in the SPIRITS architecture RFC 3136.

Just that in colloquial use it helps when talking about these services
to think in terms of subscribers and notifiers.

Thanks,

- vijay

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:12:08 -0500

> Hi Vijay:
[...]

Hi Daniel:

> I have some doubts about the possible implementation of the services 
> you've mentioned: In service (2) you are taking for granted that the 
> sending of a SMS will be a Detection Point. I think that this kind of 
> action is not considered in the SPIRITS protocol, although it is in 
> CAMEL phase 3.

I am inclined to think that if the DP is detected in CAMEL, then a
SPIRITS service is possible.  All things being equal, SPIRITS should
not really care if CAMEL or CS-x is being used underneath.

> Service (3) is a good idea, but I think you won't be able to select 
> the radius, as the mobility event will be triggered whenever her 
> mobile phone moves to another Service Area, which could be larger than 
> you wish (depends on the Operator's network design pattern). Anyway, 
> you would be noticed when she was getting in your Service area, but 
> probably further than 1 mile (depends on your own position too).

The 1 mile figure was for illustration purpose only; it was not a
normative definition for the service.  So long as I got notified
when she is in my service area, I can think of other services to
leverage based on that alone.

> I'll be glad to help you as much as I can, of course. Good ideas 

Great!  I will be sending you an I-D on location-based services in
SPIRITS within the next few days.  We can discuss it up and publish
it after you go through it and suggest any modifications.

Best regards,

- vijay

---

From: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:16:45 -0400

> to think in terms of subscribers and notifiers.

Sounds like an excellent editorial strategy! I don't have any problem
with that.

Igor

---

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:01:54 -0500

Daniel, Igor, Vijay,

Today's prepaid wireless is handled by CAMEL3.
Here is yet another possible SPIRITS service: IM notification when someone
prepaid balance is below certain amount.

Regards,
Alec