Subject: Re: [SPIRITS] Daniel Moreno's I-D on Mobility Management

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:16:41 +0200

Vijay:
The problem I see is that you haven't defined the way to communicate that event (sending an SMS) to
the SPIRITS client, because that's a "type of call" not considered in the SPIRITS protocol
requirements. I mentioned about CAMEL because it allows notifying such events, but SPIRITS is not
going to use them, unless we change the protocol definition.

Kind regards,
Daniel.

"Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>@lists.bell-labs.com con fecha 16/05/2002 19:12:08

Enviado por:   [email-masked]

Asunto:   Re: [SPIRITS] Daniel Moreno's I-D on Mobility Management

[email-masked] wrote:
> Hi Vijay:
[...]

Hi Daniel:

> I have some doubts about the possible implementation of the services
> you've mentioned: In service (2) you are taking for granted that the
> sending of a SMS will be a Detection Point. I think that this kind of
> action is not considered in the SPIRITS protocol, although it is in
> CAMEL phase 3.

I am inclined to think that if the DP is detected in CAMEL, then a
SPIRITS service is possible.  All things being equal, SPIRITS should
not really care if CAMEL or CS-x is being used underneath.

> Service (3) is a good idea, but I think you won't be able to select
> the radius, as the mobility event will be triggered whenever her
> mobile phone moves to another Service Area, which could be larger than
> you wish (depends on the Operator's network design pattern). Anyway,
> you would be noticed when she was getting in your Service area, but
> probably further than 1 mile (depends on your own position too).

The 1 mile figure was for illustration purpose only; it was not a
normative definition for the service.  So long as I got notified
when she is in my service area, I can think of other services to
leverage based on that alone.

> I'll be glad to help you as much as I can, of course. Good ideas
> are always wellcome.

Great!  I will be sending you an I-D on location-based services in
SPIRITS within the next few days.  We can discuss it up and publish
it after you go through it and suggest any modifications.

Best regards,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:19:32 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

> requirements. 

Ah, I see what you mean.  It's not a question of technical merit, rather
semantics; namely, is SMS a "call" per se.

> I mentioned about CAMEL because it allows notifying such events, but 
> SPIRITS is not

In the SPIRITS requirements I-D, section 3 (towards the end of the
section) discusses this:

  A particular Wireless IN standard development being considered here
  is CAMEL phase 3, standardised by the Third Generation Partnertship
  group (3GPP). The relevant service and architectural considerations
  and protocol requirements are presented later in this document. As
  far as the architecture is concerned, certain wireless events are
  generated by Home Location Register (HLR), which may, but does not
  have to, be part of the Mobile Switching Center (MSC) (a wireless
  equivalnet of the SSP). These events are communicated to Service
  Control, at which point they use the same mechanism for invoking
  SPIRITS services that the IN would.

Thus, it would appear that CAMEL events are just as applicable to
SPIRITS.  Furthermore, a lot of location services will happen out-
side the context of a call, so I would hate to tie ourselves to
services within the context of a call only.

Thanks.

- vijay