Subject: [SPIRITS] Interesting discussion on non cal-related events

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:17:53 -0500

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Quite recently we all witnessed an interesting discussion regarding the 
meaning on non call-related PSTN events for SPIRITS.
Please allow me to thank participants, to summarize that discussion, and 
to distill the rough technical consensus:

- Our Charter does not explicitly discriminate one sort of PSTN events 
in favor of another sort of PSTN events. The important thing is that 
these events are supposed to originate in the PSTN/IN (Wireless IN or 
wireline one).
- In fact, the same SPIRITS protocol that enables the SPIRITS "staple" 
services like ICW and ICIDD is capable of carrying requests and/or 
notifications, stemming from the non call-related PSTN (wireline, as 
well as wireless) events. These events are also of interest to SPIRITS.
- There is usually more than one way to solve any particular problem or 
provide a particular service. The choice of the solution, among other 
things,  depends on the existing network configuration (including 
legacy) and on the overall technology preference.
- Some SPIRITS services that are made possible by PSTN (wireline, as 
well as wireless) events notifications are more advantageous than 
others. We should not attempt to standardize services. 
- Once again, we "do not touch" all-IP network (wireline, as well as 
wireless) events. And, just in case, we do not deal with VoIP.

Kind regards,
Alec

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits