Subject: Re: [SPIRITS] draft-ietf-spirits-security-00.txt

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:32:19 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, "Vijay K. Gurbani" writes:
>[email-masked] wrote:
>> Steve, Vijay,
>> 
>> In the interest of timely completion of the prtocol I would
>> like to propose to focus ONLY on the case where the GATEWAY
>> is owned and managed by the PSTN operator.
>> What do you think?
>
>I don't have any problems with that; we can predominantly
>assume that model in the I-D.
>
>But to be safe, we should sprinkle in some verbiage that
>suggests some form of authentication/encryption if the gateway
>and SPIRITS client are not owned by the same entity.

That's probably right, though I won't have time to go over the document 
again until a plane ride on Sunday.  I think I'm going to have a few 
more comments to add, too.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:46:36 -0500

> more comments to add, too.

Steve:

Please send me your comments whenever you are ready.  I have
started to rev the I-D based on the discussions thus far and
can incorporate your additional comments as they appear.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216