Subject: Re[7]:software

From: Only Software <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 05:28:20 -0700

68 68:38:45 here and there into lagoons  At the head of this
descent the Atlantic had come into sig
 
rt = November 15 - March 15]

           THE STORY OF RUT-TETET AND THE THREE SONS OF RA

The last section of th

    had reduced him,
though a fairly young man, to the usual nerve-worn type th
    jusqu'aux grilles; ils ont annonce a tous leurs camarades qu'ils
ont vu le roi et que la reine leur a parle, de sorte qu'i

    h the little windows, first with powder and then with ball,
till they were willing to retreat; but
     before the way of escape was closed This little
delay enabled Vivien to get her breath and re

     hogshead goes to the trees hauled upon a sled by a
team, and the sap is evaporated in broad, shallow, sheet-iron
pans,--a great saving of fuel and of labor

Many a farmer si
    ugh he was honest
enough with himself to realize that perhaps his own belief in the
matter was largely the result of the wish being father 

o are the Kurds"[63]

Great Britain's first delegate, with engaging candor sought to disarm
criticism by frankly confessing in the House of Commons that he had
never before heard of Teschen, about which such an extraordinary fuss
was then being made, and by asking "How many members of the House have
ever heard of Teschen? Yet," he added significantly, "Teschen very
nearly produced an angry conflict between two allied states"[64]

The circumstance that an eminent parliamentarian had never heard of
problems that agitate continental peoples is excusable Less so was his
resolve, despite such a capital disqualification, to undertake the task
of solving those problems single-handed, although conscious that the
fate of whole peoples depended on his succeeding It is no adequate
justification to say that he could always fall back upon special
commissions, of which there was no lack at the Conference Unless he
possessed a safe criterion by which to assess the value of the
commissions' conclusions, he must needs himself decide the matter
arbitrarily And the delegates, having no such criterion, pronounced
very arbitrary judgments on momentous issues One instance of this
turned upon Poland's claims to certain territories incorporated in
Germany, which were referred to a special commission under the
presidency of M Cambon Commissioners were sent to the country to study
the matter on the spot, where they had received every facility for
acquainting themselves with it After some weeks the commission reported
in favor of the Polish claim with unanimity But Mr Lloyd George
rejected their conclusions and insisted on having the report sent back
to them for reconsideration Again the commissioners went over the
familiar ground, but felt obliged to repeat their verdict anew Once
more, however, the British Premier demurred, and such was his tenacity
that, despite Mr Wilson's opposition, the final decision of the
Conference reversed that of the commission and non-suited the Poles By
what line of argument, people naturally asked, did the first British
delegate come to that conclusion? That he knew more about the matter
than the special Inter-Allied commission is hardly to be supposed
Indeed, nobody assumed that he was any better informed on that subject
than about Teschen The explanation put in circulation by interested
persons was that, like Socrates, he had his own familiar demon to prompt
him, who, like all such spirits, chose to flourish, like the violet, in
the shade That this source of light was accessible to the Prime
Minister may, his apologists hold, one day prove a boon to the peoples
whose fate was thus being spun in darkness and seemingly at haphazard
Possibly But in the meanwhile it was construed as an affront to their
intelligence and a violation of the promise made to them of "open
covenants openly arrived at" The press asked why the information
requisite for the work had not been acquired in advance as these
semi-mystical ways of obtaining it commended themselves to nobody
Wholly mystical were the methods attributed to one or other of the men
who were preparing the advent of the new era For superstition of
various kinds was supposed to be as well represented at the Paris
Conference as at the Congress of Vienna Characteristic of the epoch was
the gravity with which individuals otherwise well balanced exercised
their ingenuity in finding out the true relation of the world's peace to
certain lucky numbers For several events connected with the Conference
the thirteenth day of the month was deliberately, and some occultists
added felicitously, chosen It was also noticed that an effort was made
by all the delegates to have the Allies' reply to the German
counter-proposals presented on the day of destiny, Friday, June 13th
When it miscarried a flutter was caused in the dovecotes of the
illuminated The failure was construed as an inauspicious omen and it
caused the spirits of many to droop The principal clairvoyante of
Paris, Madame N----, who plumes herself on being the intermediary
between the Fates that rule and some of their earthly executors, was
consulted on the subject, one knows not with what result[65] It was
given out, however, as the solemn utterance of the oracle in vogue that
Mr Wilson's enterprise was weighted with original sin; he had made one
false step before his arrival in Europe, and that had put everything out
of gear By enacting fourteen commandments he had countered the magic
charm of his lucky thirteen One of the fourteen, it was soothsaid, must
therefore be omitted--it might be, say, that of open covenants openly
arrived at, or the freedom of the seas--in a word, any one so long as
the mystic number thirteen remained intact But should that be
impossible, seeing that the Fourteen Points had already become
house-hold words to all nations and peoples, then it behooved the
President to number the last of his saving points 13a[66]

This odd mixture of the real and the fanciful--a symptom, as the
initiated believed, of a mood of fine spiritual exaltation--met with
little sympathy among the impatient masses whose struggle for bare life
was growing ever fiercer Stagnation held the business world, prices
were rising to prohibitive heights, partly because of the dawdling of
the world's conclave; hunger was stalking about the ruined villages of
the northern departments of France, destructive wars were being waged in
eastern Europe, and thousands of Christians were dying of hunger in
Bessarabia[67] Epigrammatic strictures and winged words barbed with
stinging satire indicated the feelings of the many And the fact remains
on record that streaks of the mysticism that buoyed up Alexander I at
the Congress of Vienna, and is supposed to have stimulated Nicholas II
during the first world-parliament at The Hague, were noticeable from
time to time in the environment of the Par