Subject: New Internet Draft on automatic (end-user) tunneling for SSM

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:25:13 -0800

I have just written (with Radia Perlman and Doron Rajwan) a new Internet Draft:

      Accelerating the Deployment of Multicast Using Automatic Tunneling

                <draft-finlayson-mboned-autotunneling-00.txt>

Abstract

Many Internet users currently cannot participate in wide-area IP
multicast sessions, because their first-hop routers (or beyond) do not
support IP multicast routing.  We describe an application level
(UDP-based) tunneling mechanism that allows non-multicast-connected
users - with no modification to their operating systems - to
automatically receive a large class of multicast sessions, pending the
deployment of multicast in their upstream routers.
-----------

We'll be giving a presentation on this during the MBONED WG session at the 
Minneapolis IETF.  The I-D should get announced shortly; in the meantime, 
you can find a copy online at <http://www.live.com/autotunneling.txt>.

(I'm hoping that this will help break the logjam that has held back the 
widespread adoption of multicast...)

         Ross.