Subject: Re: Using DNS for SSM

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:54:56 -0800 (PST)

> >I really haven't followed track on all the RR's being available,
> >there are just too many of them. Isn't there a RR mapping from
> >a DNS record to a URL and application-type of that URL ?
> >
> >fashion.tv  IN URL  http:/fashion.tv/session.sdp application/x-sdp
> 
> that's new to me, but i haven't been following very carefully either.
> does anyone know the RFC?

My english strikes again: I just wanted to say it would be _nice_ if
there was something like this, because that's what i think is needed.
I wasn't going to imply that i think there is something like it.

> >5.6.7.8.ipv4channel.4.3.2.1 IN PTR fashion.tv
> 
> if there's a need to get domain.name from (S, G), then i like the simplicity
> of this suggestion.

Well, debugging of course, you see the (S,G) state in your network
and now you want to complain about it, or know how to receive that
stream...

Cheers
	Toerless

---

From: ken lindahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:20:58 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Just all these mails ;-))

a sense of urgency was not intended.

if getting (S, G) from dns is not terribly useful, then kill the draft
that started this discussion.

my point was only that if one has a desire to get (S, G) from dns, there
are straightforward ways to accomplish that.

thanks,
ken