Subject: PIM-SSM Implementation for Linux

From: Andreas Festag <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:50:45 +0200

Hello,

I havn't found a PIM-SSM implemenation for Linux. Is there a PIM-SSM
implementation available (for Linux or other OS)? Is someone working on
a Linux implementation?

Thanks

Andreas

---

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:16:41 -0500

Do you mean you're looking for a PIM-SSM routing daemon, or that you're
looking for IGMPv3 support?

S

     |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
    :|:        :|:        Network Design Consultant, ANS
   :|||:      :|||:       RCDN2 in Richardson, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:23:30 -0700

> implementation available (for Linux or other OS)? Is someone working on

If you want to have a last-hop-router, then you primarily need IGMPv3,
which is most of the issue. Then yes, you need to add some code to PIM
to have it pick up (S,G) state from IGMPv3.

If you just want to have an intermediate router, then you can even use 
an existigin PIM-SM implementation without changes. That's more or less
what happens today with the 232/8 range being run over the existing
PIM-SM infrastructure.

Cheers
	Toerless