Subject: Re: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:59:52 +0800

+2 They are administratively and legally part of the NANP as well. :-)

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]> 
Date: 10/12/2013  10:54  (GMT+08:00) 
To: 'Henning Schulzrinne' <[email-masked]>,"'Fernando Mousinho (fmousinh)'" <[email-masked]>,[email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt 
 
+1  

800 numbers are technically part of the North American Numbering Plan and
are therefore  E.164 

-----Original Message-----
From: stir [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 5:02 PM
To: Fernando Mousinho (fmousinh); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt

As a minor matter, as far as I can tell, toll-free numbers, at least in the
US, would be considered E.164, as they do not seem to fall into any of the
Annex A exceptions, such as short codes, and follow the structure of the
national numbering plan.

________________________________________
From: stir [[email-masked]] on behalf of Fernando Mousinho (fmousinh)
[[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 4:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt

Some feedback on this last draft:

Section 3, Out-of-Band Identity Verification:

We should remove the reference to E164, given some callers may advertise
toll-free numbers and other non E164 identities. (I do understand that
otherwise we would try to convert numbers to some canonical form).

I would also slightly change the last sentence in this same section, as it
gives the impression that out-of-band should only be used if inband is not
available. Correct me if I¹m wrong, but we would be ok if some entities only
support out-of-band even if technically they could handle inband.
Suggested text ³This approach is needed because the inband technique does
not work in all use cases, such as when intermediaries are involved or
interworking with PSTN is used.²

On 12/6/13, 8:50 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited 
>Working Group of the IETF.
>
>       Title           : Secure Telephone Identity Problem Statement
>       Author(s)       : Jon Peterson
>                          Henning Schulzrinne
>                          Hannes Tschofenig
>       Filename        : draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt
>       Pages           : 23
>       Date            : 2013-12-06
>
>Abstract:
>   Over the past decade, Voice over IP (VoIP) systems based on SIP have
>   replaced many traditional telephony deployments.  Interworking VoIP
>   systems with the traditional telephone network has reduced the
>   overall security of calling party number and Caller ID assurances by
>   granting attackers new and inexpensive tools to impersonate or
>   obscure calling party numbers when orchestrating bulk commercial
>   calling schemes, hacking voicemail boxes or even circumventing multi-
>   factor authentication systems trusted by banks.  Despite previous
>   attempts to provide a secure assurance of the origin of SIP
>   communications, we still lack of effective standards for identifying
>   the calling party in a VoIP session.  This document examines the
>   reasons why providing identity for telephone numbers on the Internet
>   has proven so difficult, and shows how changes in the last decade may
>   provide us with new strategies for attaching a secure identity to SIP
>   sessions.
>
>
>The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement
>
>There's also a htmlized version available at:
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01
>
>A diff from the previous version is available at:
>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01
>
>
>Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of 
>submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at 
>tools.ietf.org.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>_______________________________________________
>stir mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir

_______________________________________________
stir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir
_______________________________________________
stir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir

_______________________________________________
stir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:42:43 +0000

+3 since this is not specific to the NANP :)

Regards,

Philippe Fouquart
Orange Labs Networks
+33 (0) 1 45 29 58 13

From: stir [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tony Rutkowski
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:00 AM
To: Richard Shockey; 'Henning Schulzrinne'; 'Fernando Mousinho (fmousinh)'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]> 
Date: 10/12/2013 10:54 (GMT+08:00) 
To: 'Henning Schulzrinne' <[email-masked]>,"'Fernando Mousinho (fmousinh)'" <[email-masked]>,[email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt 

+1  

-----Original Message-----
From: stir [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 5:02 PM
To: Fernando Mousinho (fmousinh); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-01.txt

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;
they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.