Subject: [stir] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-15: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 18:45:21 -0700

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-15: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This should be an easy one to fix (or else I'm missing stuff,
which is quite possible) but if a fix is needed then it'd impact
on interop...

In 8.3, I think the ABNF conflicts with the E164Number definition
in the certs draft which disallows "#" and "*" (if I understand
the "FROM" clause in the ASN.1 module correctly).

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 13:20:02 +0000

>the "FROM" clause in the ASN.1 module correctly).

The presence of the special keys "#" and "*" in the canonicalizations
allowed in rfc4474bis is a consequence of the fact that the
canonicalization mechanism needs to work over both the origination and
destination numbers. "*" and "#" are used in certain unusual dial strings
for the destination number which resist canonicalization mostly because
they are nationally-specific. The certs in stir-certificates are there to
sign for originating numbers. Hence the usages shouldn't overlap.

Now that much said, out of an abundance of caution for future use cases we
can't anticipate, we could tweak the cert syntax to permit those
characters, but that would end up being a stir-certs fix rather than a
rfc4474bis fix.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 13:23:58 +0000

> characters, but that would end up being a stir-certs fix rather than a

Fair enough, and that'd be fine by me.

Or, you could say somewhere that when matching the values
one drops the stuff including and after any * or # maybe?

S.