Subject: [straw] Last Call: <draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-taxonomy-02.txt> (A Taxonomy of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:35:53 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Sip Traversal Required for
Applications to Work WG (straw) to consider the following document:
- 'A Taxonomy of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User
   Agents'
  <draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-taxonomy-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-07-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In many SIP deployments, SIP entities exist in the SIP signaling path
   between the originating UAC and final terminating UAS, which go
   beyond the definition of a Proxy, performing functions not defined in
   standards-track RFCs.  The only term for such devices provided in
   [RFC3261] is for a Back-to-Back User Agent (B2BUA), which is defined
   as the logical concatenation of a User Agent Server (UAS) and User
   Agent Client (UAC).

   There are numerous types of SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs),
   performing different roles in different ways.  For Example IP-PBXs,
   SBCs and Application Servers.  This document identifies several
   common B2BUA roles, in order to provide taxonomy other documents can
   use and reference.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-taxonomy/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-taxonomy/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.