Subject: [straw] Draft on RTCP requirements deliverable

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:43:46 +0200

Dear all,

we just published a draft aimed at addressing the RTCP requirements
deliverable in the charter:

	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miniero-straw-b2bua-rtcp-00

The motivation for the draft also comes from implementation efforts we
devoted in that sense, working on WebRTC gateways in particular. The
idea is, considering these efforts, to also address the SRTP and STUN
deliverables, but we decided to start writing something down on RTCP
first and then maybe work on the others later on.

As most -00 it's still pretty rough, but most of the "juice" should be
already there. We tried to follow the organization the taxonomy draft
presents about B2BUAs handling media: of all of them, the media
termination section is still quite sketchy, but the others already
present some more meaningful content.

While working on the draft, Sergio also raised some valid points about
whether or not we should also address RTP management in B2BUAs,
especially when a B2BUA is terminating media. We decided, at least for
now, to just address those aspects of RTP that have an impact on RTCP,
since that's what the deliverable is about, but we felt it may be indeed
worthwhile to also discuss potential RTP issues somewhere in STRAW,
e.g., by describing the different things a B2BUA may/should (not) be
doing as a media terminator. Is this something you also see a need for,
and if so, would this require an additional deliverable or could it be
part of existing ones?

Any feedback will be more than welcome!
Lorenzo

---

From: "Schwarz, Albrecht (Albrecht)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:59:20 +0000

Thanks for that effort Lorenzo!

Network PLANEs (such as user plane, control plane, management plane, signalling plane, data plane, media plane, etc) aim to separate characteristics of networks. Thus, different planes are NOT overlapping (because this would inherently violate a plane concept).

That said:
draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-taxonomy-02, 
a description like: "A Media-plane B2BUA is one that operates at both the SIP and media
   planes, not only on SIP messages but also SDP and potentially RTP/
   RTCP or other media."
violates actually the plane concept!

My suggestion,
either remove the notion of 'plane' in "x-plane B2BUA" terms,
or use the following terminology:

There are two B2BUA types:
a) B2BUA with a "SIP B2BUA" and a "media-plane B2BUA" 
b) B2BUA with a "SIP B2BUA" and without a "media-plane B2BUA"

The existing B2BUA terminology is confusing.

Regards,
Albrecht

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Lorenzo Miniero
Sent: Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2013 09:44
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Sergio Garcia Murillo; Victor Pascual
Subject: [straw] Draft on RTCP requirements deliverable

Dear all,

we just published a draft aimed at addressing the RTCP requirements deliverable in the charter:

The motivation for the draft also comes from implementation efforts we devoted in that sense, working on WebRTC gateways in particular. The idea is, considering these efforts, to also address the SRTP and STUN deliverables, but we decided to start writing something down on RTCP first and then maybe work on the others later on.

As most -00 it's still pretty rough, but most of the "juice" should be already there. We tried to follow the organization the taxonomy draft presents about B2BUAs handling media: of all of them, the media termination section is still quite sketchy, but the others already present some more meaningful content.

While working on the draft, Sergio also raised some valid points about whether or not we should also address RTP management in B2BUAs, especially when a B2BUA is terminating media. We decided, at least for now, to just address those aspects of RTP that have an impact on RTCP, since that's what the deliverable is about, but we felt it may be indeed worthwhile to also discuss potential RTP issues somewhere in STRAW, e.g., by describing the different things a B2BUA may/should (not) be doing as a media terminator. Is this something you also see a need for, and if so, would this require an additional deliverable or could it be part of existing ones?

Any feedback will be more than welcome!
Lorenzo
_______________________________________________
straw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/straw

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:04:14 +0000

(As co-chair)

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for submitting the draft!

We'd ask interested people to take a look at the draft, and provide initial comments and questions.

Regards,

Christer

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] on behalf of Lorenzo Miniero [[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:43 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Sergio Garcia Murillo; Victor Pascual
Subject: [straw] Draft on RTCP requirements deliverable

Dear all,

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:57:34 +0000

(As co-chair)

Hi,

In addition, the chairs would like to know whether someone else in the community is planning to submit a draft addressing the delivery, and when we can expect to such draft to be submitted.

Regards,

Christer

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Christer Holmberg
Sent: 21. lokakuuta 2013 18:04
To: Lorenzo Miniero; [email-masked]
Cc: Sergio Garcia Murillo; Victor Pascual
Subject: Re: [straw] Draft on RTCP requirements deliverable

(As co-chair)

Hi Lorenzo,

Regards,

Christer

________________________________
From: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> [[email-masked]] on behalf of Lorenzo Miniero [[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:43 AM
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: Sergio Garcia Murillo; Victor Pascual
Subject: [straw] Draft on RTCP requirements deliverable
Dear all,

Any feedback will be more than welcome!
Lorenzo
_______________________________________________
straw mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/straw