Subject: [straw] Last Call: <draft-ietf-straw-sip-traceroute-02.txt> (A Media-based Traceroute Function for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:05:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Sip Traversal Required for
Applications to Work WG (straw) to consider the following document:
- 'A Media-based Traceroute Function for the Session Initiation Protocol
   (SIP)'
  <draft-ietf-straw-sip-traceroute-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-07-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   SIP already provides the ability to perform hop-by-hop traceroute
   for SIP messages using the Max-Forwards header field, in order to
   determine the reachability path of requests to a target.  A
   mechanism for media-loopback calls has also been defined separately,
   which enables test calls to be generated which result in media being
   looped back to the originator.  This document describes a means of
   performing hop-by-hop traceroute-style test calls using the media-
   loopback mechanism, in order to test the media path when SIP
   sessions go through media-relaying B2BUAs.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-sip-traceroute/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-sip-traceroute/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.