Subject: [straw] I-D Action: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 05:23:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Sip Traversal Required for Applications to Work of the IETF.

        Title           : Guidelines to support RTCP end-to-end in Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)
        Authors         : Lorenzo Miniero
                          Sergio Garcia Murillo
                          Victor Pascual
	Filename        : draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-09.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2016-04-11

Abstract:
   SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) are often envisaged to also be
   on the media path, rather than just intercepting signalling.  This
   means that B2BUAs often implement an RTP/RTCP stack as well, whether
   to act as media transcoders or to just passthrough the media
   themselves, thus leading to separate multimedia sessions that the
   B2BUA correlates and bridges together.  If not disciplined, though,
   this behaviour can severely impact the communication experience,
   especially when statistics and feedback information contained in RTCP
   packets get lost because of mismatches in the reported data.

   This document defines the proper behaviour B2BUAs should follow when
   also acting on the signalling/media plane in order to preserve the
   end-to-end functionality of RTCP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:26:38 +0200

Hi all,

this is just a refresh on the doc with updated references (RFC7667 and
RFC 7656), I'll come back with a real update, addressing the latest
reviews, next week or the one after that at the latest.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 05:23:45 -0700
[email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Sip Traversal Required
> for Applications to Work of the IETF.
> 
>         Title           : Guidelines to support RTCP end-to-end in
> Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) Authors         : Lorenzo Miniero
>                           Sergio Garcia Murillo
>                           Victor Pascual
>    SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) are often envisaged to also
> be on the media path, rather than just intercepting signalling.  This
>    means that B2BUAs often implement an RTP/RTCP stack as well,
> whether to act as media transcoders or to just passthrough the media
>    especially when statistics and feedback information contained in
> RTCP packets get lost because of mismatches in the reported data.
> 
>    This document defines the proper behaviour B2BUAs should follow
> when also acting on the signalling/media plane in order to preserve
> the end-to-end functionality of RTCP.
> 
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
> submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at
> tools.ietf.org.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> straw mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/straw

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:52:29 -0500

Hi Lorenzo,

The reviews you mention occurred 10 months ago, and this is the second 
"expiration and reference refresh" update since then.

If you are willing to drive things to resolution over the next small 
number of weeks, please proceed. But if things start to drag on again, 
we will need to consider whether there is still sufficient interest to 
progress the draft.

Thanks,

Ben.

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:21:49 -0700

Hello Ben,

Yes, I've already made substantial changes in the last few days, so I plan to post a new version early next week.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

-- 
Inviato dal mio dispositivo Android con K-9 Mail. Perdonate la brevità.