Subject: [straw] I-D Action: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 05:14:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Sip Traversal Required for Applications to Work of the IETF.

        Title           : Guidelines to support RTCP end-to-end in Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)
        Authors         : Lorenzo Miniero
                          Sergio Garcia Murillo
                          Victor Pascual
	Filename        : draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2016-04-19

Abstract:
   SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) are often envisaged to also be
   on the media path, rather than just intercepting signalling.  This
   means that B2BUAs often implement an RTP/RTCP stack as well, whether
   to act as media transcoders or to just passthrough the media
   themselves, thus leading to separate multimedia sessions that the
   B2BUA correlates and bridges together.  If not disciplined, though,
   this behaviour can severely impact the communication experience,
   especially when statistics and feedback information contained in RTCP
   messages get lost because of mismatches in the reported data.

   This document defines the proper behaviour B2BUAs should follow when
   also acting on the signalling/media plane in order to preserve the
   end-to-end functionality of RTCP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 14:26:56 +0200

Hi all,

as promised, I just uploaded an updated version of the RTCP draft. This
revision tries to clarify the text throughout the whole document, and
more in particular in 3.2, where the management of specific RTCP packet
types is described:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10
https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10.txt

The document also updates some references, lists RFC7656 as a normative
one and now mentions draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-dtls-srtp in the
Media Path Security section.

Let me know if this was indeed a right step in addressing the overall
clarity of the text, or if you believe some parts are still unclear
and may benefit from further rewriting. As I'm not a native English
speaker, pointers on specific sections that you feel are too obscure
would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 05:14:14 -0700
[email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Sip Traversal Required
> for Applications to Work of the IETF.
> 
>         Title           : Guidelines to support RTCP end-to-end in
> Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) Authors         : Lorenzo Miniero
>                           Sergio Garcia Murillo
>                           Victor Pascual
>    SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) are often envisaged to also
> be on the media path, rather than just intercepting signalling.  This
>    means that B2BUAs often implement an RTP/RTCP stack as well,
> whether to act as media transcoders or to just passthrough the media
>    especially when statistics and feedback information contained in
> RTCP messages get lost because of mismatches in the reported data.
> 
>    This document defines the proper behaviour B2BUAs should follow
> when also acting on the signalling/media plane in order to preserve
> the end-to-end functionality of RTCP.
> 
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
> submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at
> tools.ietf.org.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> straw mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/straw

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:42:34 +0000

Thanks, Lorenzo!

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: straw [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Lorenzo Miniero
Sent: 19 April 2016 15:27
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [straw] I-D Action: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10.txt

Hi all,

as promised, I just uploaded an updated version of the RTCP draft. This revision tries to clarify the text throughout the whole document, and more in particular in 3.2, where the management of specific RTCP packet types is described:

The document also updates some references, lists RFC7656 as a normative one and now mentions draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-dtls-srtp in the Media Path Security section.

Let me know if this was indeed a right step in addressing the overall clarity of the text, or if you believe some parts are still unclear and may benefit from further rewriting. As I'm not a native English speaker, pointers on specific sections that you feel are too obscure would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Lorenzo