Subject: Re: [sunset4] [v6ops] draft-anderson-siit-dc-00

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 07:42:44 -0800

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Xing Li <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi, Tore and All,
>
> Thanks for your interesting draft. I also noticed that you presented this
> concept in RIPE64
> https://ripe64.ripe.net/presentations/67-20120417-RIPE64-The_Case_for_IPv6_Only_Data_Centres.pdf
> Due to the deployment of VMs in the DC, the depletion of the IPv4 address is
> a big issue and your draft presents a solution. I would like to see the
> discussion of your draft in v6ops.
>
> Regards,
>
> xing

+1, i have read the draft and i believe it is something we need to
work on.  More and more ipv6-only networks are popping up (TMO USA for
mobile, TerraStream at DT for fixed line, Red Pill in data center,
CERNET2 in backbone ...), and i believe Tore has outlined a sensible
path for achieving this in a data centers ...what's more... it is a
running code... errr.. network.

I urge the chairs for sunset4 and v6ops to make a call on which WG
should own it and then take on the task of stewarding it into a WG
document.  This draft is clearly about running an IPv6 network (so
v6ops), but the main feature is shutting off ipv4 (so sunset4)

editorial comments sent directly to the author.

CB

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:42:05 -0600

Hi Cameron,

Please post your comments to the list.

Regards,

Behcet

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> sunset4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sunset4
>

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:16:15 -0800

> v6ops), but the main feature is shutting off ipv4 (so sunset4)
I do see operating v6 only networks as germain to v6ops. there is 
clearly an intersection with sunset4 or behave/softwire/et al on how 
legacy ipv4 needs are supported if at all.

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:51:14 -0500

Le 2012-12-23 à 18:16, joel jaeggli a écrit :

> I do see operating v6 only networks as germain to v6ops. there is clearly an intersection with sunset4 or behave/softwire/et al on how legacy ipv4 needs are supported if at all.

right. but sunset4 may do protocol work.

Marc.