Subject: [sunset4] IPR Disclosure Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-sunset4-gapanalysis

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 10:18:56 -0700

Dear Will (Shucheng) LIU, Weiping Xu, Cathy Zhou, Tina Tsou, Simon Perreault, Peng Fan, Rong Gu, Chongfeng Xie, Ying Cheng:

An IPR disclosure that pertains to your Internet-Draft entitled "Gap
Analysis for IPv4 Sunset" (draft-ietf-sunset4-gapanalysis) was submitted
to the IETF Secretariat on  and has been posted on the "IETF Page of
Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures"
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3064/). The title of the IPR disclosure is
"Huawei Technologies Co.,Ltd's Statement about IPR related to
draft-ietf-sunset4-gapanalysis"

Thank you

IETF Secretariat

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:12:42 -0400

I appreciate this disclosure being filed. Can anyone tell me how to find
out more about the disclosed IPR, such as its title, or what it’s about?

Thanks,
Lee

On 9/12/17, 1:18 PM, "sunset4 on behalf of IETF Secretariat"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>Dear Will (Shucheng) LIU, Weiping Xu, Cathy Zhou, Tina Tsou, Simon
>Perreault, Peng Fan, Rong Gu, Chongfeng Xie, Ying Cheng:
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>sunset4 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sunset4
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:21:32 -0400

> out more about the disclosed IPR, such as its title, or what it’s about?

They appear to have patented anything that does roughly what a DHCP server does.   If you google the patent number, you can read the patent, but good luck figuring out what it means.

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:07:56 -0400

Ah, after clicking an unpromising link, I now discover that "CN
201510697563” (as listed in the IPR disclosure) is the application number,
and "CN106612196 A” is the publication number, also published as
WO2017067464 A1.

And now I find that translation is available,
https://encrypted.google.com/patents/CN106612196A?cl=en
Which suggests that a client may request resources. So I wonder if this is
related to on-demand IP provisioning?

Lee

From:  sunset4 <[email-masked]> on behalf of Ted Lemon
<[email-masked]>
Date:  Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3:21 PM
To:  Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Cc:  <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: [sunset4] IPR Disclosure Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd's
Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-sunset4-gapanalysis

> They appear to have patented anything that does roughly what a DHCP server
> does.   If you google the patent number, you can read the patent, but good
> luck figuring out what it means.
> 
> _______________________________________________ sunset4 mailing list
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sunset4

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 06:23:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, Lee Howard wrote:

> https://encrypted.google.com/patents/CN106612196A?cl=en Which suggests 
> that a client may request resources. So I wonder if this is related to 
> on-demand IP provisioning?

A quick read through (I hate "patent code") seems to indicate that this 
patents basically "DHCP but over NETCONF/RESTCONF", where one use-case is 
NFV provisioning (over NETCONF) based on this interaction to provision the 
needed resource.

"NETCONF protocol is the Internet Engineering Task Force (Internet 
Engineering Task Force, IETF) NETCONF working group launched a new network 
configuration protocol (Network Configuration Protocol), NETC0NF in the 
role of network management similar to the simple network management 
protocol (Simple Network Management Protocol, SNMP) for network interface 
and data transmission between devices. In a network environment, the 
resource manager is used to centrally manage multiple resources of network 
devices, such as Internet Protocol (IP) address pools and forwarding 
entries. The NETCONF protocol is used between the resource manager and the 
network device. The resource manager can allocate resources to the network 
device based on the NETCONF protocol. The current allocation of resources 
there is a waste of resources."

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]