Subject: [Supa] use case slides for the bof

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 09:54:40 +0100

Hi,

Tina asked me yesterday to comment on the use case slides and I
suggested that the slides should focus more on the service management
and policy aspect. Right now, it seems the focus (visually and in
text) seems to be more on the network manager (controller) device
aspect. Tina then asked me to propose something concrete in order to
help to shifting the focus to the service management aspects. So I
went through the IDs and I tried to figure out what might be examples
of service management policy rules. Here is what I came up with (the

* Scenario 1: Inter DC Connectivity Service Definition

  - attributes of (virtual) links (bandwidth, qos & availability parameters)
  - high-level requirements like routing strategy (via and not via)
  - policy rules that drive the security requirements

** Service Policy Examples

   - Ensure that a certain set of DCs are interconnected via at least
     N links that use use disjoint paths.

   - Ensure that the links interconnecting two DCs together guarantee
     a minimum bandwidth, certain qos parameters, and provide certain
     availability guarantees.

* Scenario 2: Virtual DC Connectivity

  - connectivity between resources owned by a tenant in multiple DCs
  - tunnels that need to be dynamically established, managed, released
  - attributes of tunnels (bandwidth, qos & availability parameters)
  - interaction with policy systems that dynamically scale the DC
    resources assigned to a tenant
  - policy rules that drive the prioritization of resource assignments

** Service Policy Examples

   Ensure that the networking resources assigned to a tenant scale
   proportionally to the compute resources assigned to a tenant.

   Prioritize traffic to resources owned by tenants that offer
   interactive services according to the time zone the DC is located
   in.

* Scenario 3: Dynamic Link Configuration for DC

  - creating short-term dedicated links for backups and migrations
  - attributes of link s (bandwidth, qos & availability parameters)
  - policy concerning strict and soft bounds on the lifetime of such links
  - policy concerning the scheduling of dedicated links (e.g., based on the
    current load) and the services using the dedicated links

** Service Policy Examples

   When the traffic volume between two DCs exceeds a certain
   threshold, the policy-driven service manager requests that traffic
   schedules may be adjusted within bounds in order to balance load on
   the links (e.g., delay backups and migrations until the network has
   the necessary capacity).

* Scenario 4: DC Connectivity for Virtual PCs

  - running virtual PCs in clouds connected to internal services
  - creating and managing VPNs to internal services
  - policy controlling authentication and authorization concerning
    access to data residing in internal services
  - access of virtual PCs to data resources is often controlled by
    underlying projects

** Service Policy Examples

   During the duration of project X, ensure that the virtual PCs using
   by the project members have secure access to the data resource Y.

I am not sure whether the service policy examples are the best ones
possible or even relevant (I am not an operator). Feel free to modify
and extend them. The key message simply is that we should focus the
use case slides on making it clear how a service management view
differs from the view of a network manager (aka controller). Note that
some rules above require additional information to resolve them (e.g.
duration of project X or members of project X and this is on purpose
since a good policy driven management system will allow to define
these different aspects as different entities).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Ying Cheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 13:43:50 +0800

如果您错误接收了该邮件，请通过电子邮件立即通知我们。[email-masked]，即可以退订此邮件。我们将立即将您的信息从我们的发送目录中删除。
If you have received this email in error please notify us immediately by e-mail. Please reply to [email-masked] if you want to unsubscribe from this mail. We will immediately remove your information from our sending catalogue.

Subject: Re: [Supa] use case slides for the bof
From: Ying Cheng <[email-masked]>
To: "Juergen Schoenwaelder" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 13:43:50 +0800

Hi Juergen et al,

Thanks for your insightful comments. The updated slides are attached for your kind review. 

BR,
Ying

2015-03-18 

Ying CHENG  程莹
China Unicom Network Technology Research Institute 中国联通网络技术研究院
Tel: +86-10-68799999-7702
Mobile: +86-18601102971

发件人： Juergen Schoenwaelder 
发送时间： 2015-03-17  16:54:55 
收件人： [email-masked] 
抄送： 
主题： [Supa] use case slides for the bof 
 
Hi,
_______________________________________________
Supa mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/supa

---

From: Ying Cheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:26:53 +0800

Subject: supa-use-case-v0.3
From: Ying Cheng <[email-masked]>
To: "supa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:26:53 +0800

Hi all, 

Enclosed please kindly find the latest version of ddc use case for the upcoming BoF. Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks and best regards,
Ying

2015-03-20

Ying CHENG  程莹

发件人： Ying Cheng
发送时间： 2015-03-18 13:43:49
收件人： Juergen Schoenwaelder; [email-masked]
抄送： 
主题： Re: [Supa] use case slides for the bof

Hi Juergen et al,

BR,
Ying

2015-03-18 

Ying CHENG  程莹

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:58:28 +0100

> Enclosed please kindly find the latest version of ddc use case for the upcoming BoF. Any comments are welcomed.

My input was not meat to be copied verbatim into the slides. The
layout (bullets and indentation etc.) could likely be improved (at
least on my Mac things look somewhat ugly).

/js