Subject: [Supa] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-strassner-supa-generic-policy-info-model-04.txt

From: Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:26:33 -0500

Below is the announcement of the revision of the Generic Information 
Model for the SUPA work.  John has done the heavy lifting on this, with 
help from Jason and myself.

Over the last several months, we have made a lot of changes to this model.

We really need working group review and comment on this.

We will be working with the team that produced the earlier YANG models 
to drive a new YANG model that reflects this information model.  So if 
we have made mistakes here, we need to know ASAP.

In the absence of significant concerns, once we have gotten a YANG model 
derived, we will also ask for WG adoption of this document.

So please, read it and comment.

Yours,
Joel

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-strassner-supa-generic-policy-info-model-04.txt
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 11:09:50 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

         Title           : Generic Policy Information Model for 
Simplified Use of Policy Abstractions (SUPA)
         Authors         : John Strassner
                           Joel Halpern
                           Jason Coleman
	Filename        : draft-strassner-supa-generic-policy-info-model-04.txt
	Pages           : 115
	Date            : 2016-02-12

Abstract:
    This document defines an information model for representing
    policies using a common extensible framework that is independent
    of language, protocol, repository. It is also independent of the
    level of abstraction of the content and meaning of a policy.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-strassner-supa-generic-policy-info-model/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-strassner-supa-generic-policy-info-model-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-strassner-supa-generic-policy-info-model-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:16:29 -0800

Hi,

I read this draft and I am still confused how it is really used.
It is not clear what is supposed to be implemented.

   Variable == Event.baz                                        (A)
     Condition BETWEEN VALUE1 and VALUE2                          (B)
     (Event.severity == 'Critical' AND
       (SLA.violation == TRUE OR User.class == 'Gold'))           (C)

Sec 4.3 suggests there is some policy syntax but there is no ABNF
to follow to construct the syntax.

Even if there was a syntax and some examples, I do not see how SUPA uses
YANG.
It appears that one would somehow create an info model in the SUPA engine
which represents the policy.  YANG seems irrelevant if this is the case.
If SUPA is supposed to work with YANG somehow, then it would be good
to explain how.

Andy

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Joel Halpern <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Below is the announcement of the revision of the Generic Information Model
> for the SUPA work.  John has done the heavy lifting on this, with help from
> Jason and myself.
>
> We will be working with the team that produced the earlier YANG models to
> drive a new YANG model that reflects this information model.  So if we have
> made mistakes here, we need to know ASAP.
>
>         Title           : Generic Policy Information Model for Simplified
> Use of Policy Abstractions (SUPA)
>         Authors         : John Strassner
>                           Joel Halpern
>                           Jason Coleman
>         Filename        :
> draft-strassner-supa-generic-policy-info-model-04.txt
>         Pages           : 115
>         Date            : 2016-02-12
>
> Abstract:
> Supa mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/supa
>

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 20:52:09 -0500

There are several aspects.

1) The Information model (and the data model) support several means of 
expressing policies.  This is because different environments have 
demonstrated different needs with earlier policy systems.

2) Many of the classes will need subclasses before we can get to 
actually describing policies that can be applied.  For example, the 
Event, Condition, and Action classes will need to be subclasses to 
represent differen events, etc...

3) We are translating this information model into YANG.

As a separate mater, there is the question of who the communicating 
parties are that will use the YANG.  For different kinds of policies, 
this will likely be different.

Yours,
Joel

On 2/29/16 7:16 PM, Andy Bierman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Joel Halpern <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Model for the SUPA work.  John has done the heavy lifting on this,
>     with help from Jason and myself.
>
>     We will be working with the team that produced the earlier YANG
>     models to drive a new YANG model that reflects this information
>     model.  So if we have made mistakes here, we need to know ASAP.
>
>     In the absence of significant concerns, once we have gotten a YANG
>     model derived, we will also ask for WG adoption of this document.
>
>     Subject: I-D Action:
>     From: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     Reply-To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>
>
>     until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org
>     <http://tools.ietf.org>.
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>