Subject: [T2TRG] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary-00.txt

From: Dapeng Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:44:36 +0000

Hello all,

We submit a short draft regarding the standardization of smart home
appliance "vocabulary" for semantic interoperability.
"vocabulary" here means the word/phrase that used to describe a certain
function of a device. For example, for an air conditioner device,
"on",''off','temperature up' etc is the "vocabulary" to describe the
function of the air conditioner, and it is the basis for semantic
interoperability of the air conditioner device.

The standardization for this is very important for IoT service platform
vendors , the smart home appliance vendors and the end user. With this, the
users can use one mobile App to control different vendor's device and do
not need to install multiple Apps anymore.   And this is the basis for
semantic interoperability, otherwise, even if we can have a standardized
information model, it can not enable real interoperability.

I'd like to trigger some discussion in the RG and appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Dapeng Liu
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 11:13 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary-00.txt
To: Dapeng Liu <[email-masked]>, Qing An <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Dapeng Liu and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary
Revision:       00
Title:          Problem Statement for Smart Home Device Vocabulary
Document date:  2016-10-30
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          4
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary-00

Abstract:
   This document provides an overview of the issues associated with the
   IoT device information model of smart home applications and systems.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: David Janes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 13:47:22 -0500

Hi Liu,

IOTDB has what you're proposing be written here:
https://iotdb.org/pub/iot-purpose.html

For example, "iot-purose:on" universally represents the concept of turning
something on or off.

An implementation of this, demonstrating interoperability with a wide range
of things is available in NodeJS
https://github.com/dpjanes/node-iotdb

You can also see some discussion of this here on sdo-iot-sync
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sdo-iot-sync/SO0ineFpygQ/fG48wr_vBAAJ

And a number of Slideshares, starting here at page 27
http://www.slideshare.net/dpjanes/semantic-and-the-internet-of-things

I'm certainly interested in getting a more formal adoption for this
vocabulary, and in general, discussion since I'm certainly a believer this
is a great name.

Regards,
David

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Dapeng Liu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-
> vocabulary-00.txt
> URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-liu-t2trg-ps-
> smart-home-vocabulary-00.txt
> Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-
> home-vocabulary/
> Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-
> vocabulary-00
>
>
> Abstract:
> _______________________________________________
> T2TRG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/t2trg
>
>

---

From: Dapeng Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 02:32:50 +0000

Hi David,

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 2:47 AM David Janes <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> An implementation of this, demonstrating interoperability with a wide
> range of things is available in NodeJS

Thanks for the information!
Where do you think is the right place to standardize this, any idea? Thanks,

Regards,
Dapeng Liu

---

From: David Janes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 07:24:05 -0500

Hi Liu,

I'm happy to work with anyone to help make this happen. I think the IETF
would be a great place to standardize these concepts. If you're interested
in pushing this further, I'm in.

One concern is that Interoperability doesn't seem to be explicitly
chartered under the IETF IoT Directorate?
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/int/wiki/IOTDirWiki

Regards,
D.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Dapeng Liu <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> For example, "iot-purose:on" universally represents the concept of
>> turning something on or off.
>>
>> To: Dapeng Liu <[email-masked]>, Qing An <[email-masked]
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/
>> doc/draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary/
>> Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/
>> draft-liu-t2trg-ps-smart-home-vocabulary-00
>>
>>
>> Abstract:

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 14:51:19 +0100

Hi David,

> One concern is that Interoperability doesn't seem to be explicitly chartered under the IETF IoT Directorate?

Interoperability is somewhat implicitly the goal of anything in the IETF — listing this here would be like stating that the directorate intends to breathe air.  In any case, the directorate is there to make sure information flows (within the IETF and between the IETF and others), not to develop anything by themselves beyond possibly initiating some development.

Wrt who should be standardizing home IoT vocabulary:

> I'm happy to work with anyone to help make this happen. I think the IETF would be a great place to standardize these concepts. If you're interested in pushing this further, I'm in.

There are several organizations (just citing OCF and Fairhair as two examples for now) that are already doing something in this space.  How would what we are doing be different/better?  How would we get the experts over to our venue?  How do we ensure a good review process?  Please see also my previous messages on this.  I’d like to understand potential answers to these questions before going further ahead with this.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: David Janes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 16:06:24 -0500

Hi Carsten,

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Interoperability is somewhat implicitly the goal of anything in the IETF —
> listing this here would be like stating that the directorate intends to
> breathe air.  In any case, the directorate is there to make sure
> information flows (within the IETF and between the IETF and others), not to
> develop anything by themselves beyond possibly initiating some development.
>

Well there's interoperability in terms of "let's find a way to make stuff
that doesn't work together work together" but also "let's define a standard
that everyone uses and then everything will interoperate".

There's lots of organizations working on the second type on
interoperability (OCF, Hypercat, OMA, W3C…) - some better than other; and
basically no organizations working seriously on the first.

> There are several organizations (just citing OCF and Fairhair as two
> examples for now) that are already doing something in this space.  How
> would what we are doing be different/better?  How would we get the experts
> over to our venue?  How do we ensure a good review process?  Please see
> also my previous messages on this.  I’d like to understand potential
> answers to these questions before going further ahead with this.
>

Specifically, I'm responding to Dapeng Liu, &c's "Problem Statement for
Smart Home Device Vocabulary" above. I'm not particularly interested in
writing the "15th Standard", but IMO there a lot of fertile soil in what
their paper references.