Subject: [Taps] Fwd: Transport/Network APIs

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 22:45:52 +0000

forwarding with permission - comments welcome

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Transport/Network APIs
> Date: 5. mars 2014 15:53:06 GMT
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Cc: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>, Matthias Waehlisch <[email-masked]>
> 
> Hi guys,
> 
> I want to make you aware of related API work we've done in the IRTF:
> 
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7046 (A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast) ... as the name says, this is rather concerned with Multicast and pub/sub, but addresses quite a number of aspects from today's presentation.
> 
> There is also a middleware implementation (called HAMcast): http://hamcast.realmv6.org/developers
> 
> Feedback & discussion would be great.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Thomas
> -- 
> 
> Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
> ° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °
> ° Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group    20099 Hamburg, Germany °
> ° http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 °
> ° http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt    Fax: +49-40-42875-8409 °

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:39:55 +0000

Highly relevant - actually a lot of the work in RMT back in the day bears attention - 

a key difference between that group and other protocol groups was that they
started from the notion of sets of protocol building blocks which could be composed to
get desired service - as per Stuart Cheshire's comment, this was (almost always)
at design time - the reason you might get different compositions for the same service was
that you might be targetting specialised deployments 
(e.g. non internet-wide, LAN only, or in special intranets -one
succesful example was pgm in trading networks) - 

I don't recall RMT work especially on APIs
(in the group - obviously one v. good thing in that group was that pretty much every proponent of
a component had running code (actually, most of them had deployments:)

an aside from Ran Atkinson at the back in TAPS was that the 
NORM service would probably meet a lot of the needs
expressed during TAPS, as one example...

[aside - i'd read the minion protocol stuff but not the service model
so did so yesterday -   draft-iyengar-minion-concept-01
is also mega full of  clear neat ideas..]

One thing TAPS seems to raise for me is that there is rather a lot of good stuff out there
and pulling it all into some kind of shape seems like one priority
TAPS work item!

In missive <[email-masked]>, Michael Welzl typed:

 >>> To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Michael Welzl =
 >><[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
 >>> Cc: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>, Matthias Waehlisch =
 >><[email-masked]>
 >>>=20
 >>> Hi guys,
 >>>=20
 >>>=20
 >>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7046 (A Common API for Transparent =
 >>Hybrid Multicast) ... as the name says, this is rather concerned with =
 >>Multicast and pub/sub, but addresses quite a number of aspects from =
 >>today's presentation.
 >>>=20
 >>> There is also a middleware implementation (called HAMcast): =
 >>http://hamcast.realmv6.org/developers
 >>>=20
 >>>=20
 >>>=20
 >>> --=20
 >>>=20
 >>> =B0 Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner =
 >>Tor 7 =B0
 >>> =B0 Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group    20099 Hamburg, =
 >>Germany =B0
 >>> =B0 http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: =
 >>+49-40-42875-8452 =B0
 >>> =B0 http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt    Fax: =
 >>+49-40-42875-8409 =B0
 >>
 >>
 >>--Apple-Mail=_0C0B1E34-FB85-400B-8AFF-002531A0D0BE
 >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
 >>Content-Type: text/html;
 >>	charset=iso-8859-1
 >>
 >><html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
 >>charset=3Diso-8859-1"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
 >>-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
 >>after-white-space;">forwarding with permission - comments =
 >>welcome<br><div style=3D""><br><div>Begin forwarded message:</div><br =
 >>class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
 >>style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
 >>margin-left: 0px;"><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, =
 >>0, 0, 1.0);"><b>From: </b></span><span =
 >>style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica';">"Thomas C. Schmidt" &lt;<a =
 >>href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
 >>amburg.de</a>&gt;<br></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
 >>margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
 >>style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>Subject: =
 >></b></span><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica';"><b>Transport/Network =
 >>APIs</b><br></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
 >>0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
 >>style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>Date: =
 >></b></span><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica';">5. mars 2014 =
 >>15:53:06 GMT<br></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
 >>margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
 >>style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>To: =
 >></b></span><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica';"><a =
 >>href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>, <a =
 >>href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>,  Michael Welzl =
 >>&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;, <a =
 >>href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br></span></div>=
 >><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
 >>margin-left: 0px;"><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, =
 >>0, 0, 1.0);"><b>Cc: </b></span><span =
 >>style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica';">Gorry Fairhurst &lt;<a =
 >>href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;,  =
 >>Matthias Waehlisch &lt;<a =
 >>href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<=
 >>br></span></div><br><div>Hi guys,<br><br>I want to make you aware of =
 >>related API work we've done in the IRTF:<br><br> <a =
 >>href=3D"http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7046">http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc=
 >>7046</a> (A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast) ... as the name =
 >>says, this is rather concerned with Multicast and pub/sub, but addresses =
 >>quite a number of aspects from today's presentation.<br><br>There is =
 >>also a middleware implementation (called HAMcast): <a =
 >>href=3D"http://hamcast.realmv6.org/developers">http://hamcast.realmv6.org/=
 >>developers</a><br><br>Feedback &amp; discussion would be =
 >>great.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Thomas<br>-- <br><br>Prof. Dr. Thomas C. =
 >>Schmidt<br>=B0 Hamburg University of Applied Sciences =
 >>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
 >>bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Berliner Tor 7 =B0<br>=B0 Dept. =
 >>Informatik, Internet Technologies Group &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;20099 Hamburg, =
 >>Germany =B0<br>=B0 <a =
 >>href=3D"http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet">http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet</a>=
 >> =
 >>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
 >>bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 =B0<br>=B0 <a =
 >>href=3D"http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt">http://www.informat=
 >>ik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt</a> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Fax: +49-40-42875-8409 =
 >>=B0<br></div></blockquote></div><br></body></html>=
 >>
 >>--Apple-Mail=_0C0B1E34-FB85-400B-8AFF-002531A0D0BE--
 >>
 >>
 >>--===============0999105023108511781==
 >>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
 >>MIME-Version: 1.0
 >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
 >>Content-Disposition: inline
 >>
 >>_______________________________________________
 >>Taps mailing list
 >>[email-masked]
 >>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/taps
 >>
 >>--===============0999105023108511781==--
 >>

 cheers

   jon