Subject: [Taps] (D)TLS: Where shall we stop when considering features?

From: Olivier Mehani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:07:22 +1100

Hi all,

I noticed that draft-ietf-taps-transports-xx had a section about TLS.
This makes sense as it provides an end-to-end encryption feature.
However, this is not all. TLS also provides mechanisms for the
authentication of endpoints (through, e.g., certificates or shared
keys).

This is not a feature that is usually found in transport protocols, or
at least the other being reviewed. Hence my question: where shall we
stop when considering transport features? Does authentication have its
place there, or should we rule it out? And if we rule it out, what is
the criterion for doing so?

Without much thinking, I think there is value in considering
authentication as a transport feature, but I'm afraid this might incur
some unneeded complexity.

That said, if nobody has spoken up for section 3.8, Ralph Holz (Cc'd)
and I would like to volunteer to write it up.

-- 
Olivier Mehani <[email-masked]>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted.

---

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:44:17 +0100

Hi Olivier,

the quick answer for now is that section 3 should describe everything that is current in the protocol, while section 4 will later on discuss what should be there (and what should be exposed to the higher layer).

You can go for section 3.8 (incl. authentication); it’s not taken yet. Thanks!

However, I personally see authentication as something that can be a transport feature as transport is end-to-end and therefore it’s useful to some certainty that you speak to the right end. But you also might have authentication on different layer (alternatively or in addition) e.g. if you’d connect some information with user account.

Mirja

> Am 15.03.2015 um 10:07 schrieb Olivier Mehani <[email-masked]>:
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Taps mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/taps