Subject: [tcpm] a different scheme for reacting to spurious RTOs

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:29:26 -0400

Folks-

In Paris it was noted that Eifel was the only way to react to detected
spurious timeouts during the meeting (that is, the only way specified in
IETF documents).  Some of us thought about this after the meeting and
wondered if we could come up with a reasonable alternative.  We have a
small idea and a correspondingly small draft (surely a virtue!).  Our
feeling is that the idea and the principles behind it are solid.  Our
intent is not to say this scheme is better than the Eifel response --
just that this is a reasonable alternative that someone could use if
they wanted to.  We'd very much appreciate comments on the draft, which
is:

    Mark Allman, Ethan Blanton, Josh Blanton.  Using Spurious
    Retransmissions to Adapt the Retransmission Timeout. August
    2005. Internet-Draft draft-allman-rto-backoff-00.txt (work in
    progress).
    http://www.icir.org/mallman/papers/draft-allman-rto-backoff-00.txt

(And, also in the i-d archive at this point.)

Thanks in advance!

allman

-- 
Mark Allman -- ICIR -- http://www.icir.org/mallman/

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm