Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:30:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Adding Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Capability to TCP's SYN/ACK Packets
	Author(s)       : S. Floyd, I. Property
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-04.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2008-01-08

This draft specifies a modification to RFC 3168 to allow TCP SYN/ACK
packets to be ECN-Capable.  For TCP, RFC 3168 only specifies setting
an ECN-Capable codepoint on data packets, and not on SYN and SYN/ACK
packets.  However, because of the high cost to the TCP transfer of
having a SYN/ACK packet dropped, with the resulting retransmit
timeout, this document specifies the use of ECN for the SYN/ACK
packet itself, when sent in response to a SYN packet with the two ECN
flags set in the TCP header, indicating a willingness to use ECN.
Setting TCP SYN/ACK packets as ECN-Capable can be of great benefit to
the TCP connection, avoiding the severe penalty of a retransmit
timeout for a connection that has not yet started placing a load on
the network.  The sender of the SYN/ACK packet must respond to a
report of an ECN-marked SYN/ACK packet by reducing its initial
congestion window from two, three, or four segments to one segment,
thereby reducing the subsequent load from that connection on the
network.  This document is intended to update RFC 3168.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-04.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm