Subject: Help for a novice please.

From: Trayhorn Benjamin J <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:18:07 -0000

I'm trying to set up a simple point to point TCP/IP link across a
satellite. Unfortunately I have no experience in this and everything I
have learnt so far has been off the web. I'm really just checking I'm
doing things correctly as I have very limited satellite time to play
around with.

I'm using 2PC's with Win'98, a couple of CISCO routers (configured as a
bridge) and some EF Data 3650 modems.

Basically it is a 2Mbps link, I am new to all this and I found a little
app called TCPTune.exe which will change the receive window size. I've
set this to 157kbyes (guessing a 600ms RTT) and the 'max duplicate acks'
to 3 (default)

I will refine the window size once I've had a chance to ping accross the
satellte.

What else can I do to maximise the through-put of the link with out too
much effort (we have our next access in a week)

Thanks for any help received

Ben Trayhorn

p.s.
Do some applications change the window size?
I want to demonstrate some file transfer and video conferencing. Any
recommended (free preferable) applications?

-- 
The Information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent correspondence
is private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s).
For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, 
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.