Subject: Data/IP Over Satellite at rates between 51.84Mbps and 155.52Mbps

From: mike holdsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:20:25 -0000

Hi Everyone,

As some of you know, Metrodata have been working on overcoming some of the
problems of running High Speed Data rates over satellite connections.

*I need to know whether people want a low-overhead solution to supplying
asymmetric data rates between 51.84Mbps & 155.52Mbps*
*Using Packet Over Sonet (POS) on the Router and ASI on the Modem*

What problems am I talking about?

The main problem was that of interfacing modems and routers/switches. Whilst
HSSI can go to 51.84Mbps on a Router it can go to 90Mbps on a modem. The
benefit of HSSI was that is supported variable rates and also asymmetric
rates. The next speed interface on a router was OC-3, and this had a
corresponding Modem interface that was OC-3. The problem was that there was
no way of offering sub-rates of 155.52Mbps, as the OC-3 Modem operated at
155.52Mbps.

We can hardly afford to carry 90Mbps of traffic over a 155.52Mbps satellite
link can we?

But we have a variable rate and asymmetric rate modem interface in ASI. The
problem here is that Routers don't have this interface.

Currently we are using ATM to overcome both of these problems.

1. We can interface HSSI satellite modems up to 90Mbps into an Router OC-3
ATM port or OC-3 ATM Switch port.
2. We can interface ASI satellite modems from 600k to 155.52Mbps in 1Hz
increments into an Router OC-3 ATM port or OC-3 ATM Switch

Everyone seems to be asking me if we can do a POS version. The answer is
yes. It will take 6 months for us to fully develop and test. I cannot commit
to developing this product unless I get some feedback from interested
parties.

So...if anyone is interested in a solution now, we've got one & if anyone is
interested in having an optimal solution then please let me know of your
interest. As a data manufacturer we are committed to developing products for
the Satellite industry. I need some commitment of interest to develop this
POS product.

Regards

Mike Holdsworth
Satellite Product Manager
Metrodata Ltd - Satellite Group - www.metrodata.co.uk/satellite -
=================================================
New Products Include HSSI/ASI Converter, OC-3/ASI Converter,
90Mbits HSSI Module, HSSI Line Drivers and more......................
=================================================
||    Tel: +44 (0)1784 744 700     ||     Fax: +44(0)1784 477 423   ||
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
[Satellite 2001, Washington DC Contact No +44-7887-983-374]