Subject: [email-masked]: BOUNCE [email-masked]: Non-member submission from [Dr G Fairhurst <[email-masked]>]

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:40:46 -0400

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:21:29 +0100
From: Dr G Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Organization: ERG, Aberdeen, UK
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Satellite-related BOF at IETF-57, Vienna.

Please forgive the cross-posting.

If you have already recieved this via the ip-dvb mailing list, I am
sorry.  
Gorry Fairhurst

- ---

A BOF will be held in Vienna on the subject of building standards for IP
networks using MPEG-2 Transport Stream transmission. This is intended to
cover issues common to implementors/operators wishing to build efficient
IP transmission networks using DVB, ATSC, etc. Satellite systems are
currently a major user of this technology.  Despite the word "DVB" in
the 
BOF title, I would especially encourage input and comments from 
those using MPEG-2 beyond DVB, such as ATSC, DAB, etc.  

A description of the BOF follows:

For the current (as yet provisional scheduling see):

http://www.ietf.org/meetings/

IP over MPEG-2/DVB Transport
============================

BoF Description
- ---------------

The MPEG-2 Transport Stream provides a transmission network that has
become widely use to support digital TV broadcast, including: DVB, DAB,
ATSC, ISDB-T. These and related standards define a set of commercially
available components that are increasingly being used  to provide a
general-purpose packet transmission network.  MPEG-2 Transport networks
are being used to build IP networks to supplement broadcast TV/audio
services and also to provide one-way and two-way IP-only subnetworks. 

The BOF will explore how the IETF might work to define documents that
describe the protocols required to build a complete IPv4/IPv6
unicast/multicast service, and the mappings that are needed to perform
address resolution, etc. A set of Internet Drafts will be reviewed
describing requirements, and some proposed protocols.

DRAFT AGENDA
============

CHAIRS:
Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Bernhard Collini-Nocker <[email-masked]>

Agenda Bashing (5 minutes)
        - Election of scribes (jabber scribe?)

What is MPEG-2? and Why is this an IETF activity? (10 minutes)
        draft-fair-ipdvb-req-03.txt
        Bernhard Collini-Nocker

Lightweight Encapsulation  (15 minutes)
        draft-clausen-ipdvb-enc-01.txt
        draft-fair-ipdvb-ule-00.txt
        Gorry Fairhurst

Address Resolution for IPv4/IPv6 (10 minutes)
        draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt
        (tbc)

Proposed Roadmap (15 minutes)
        Gorry Fairhurst
        - STANDARDS TRACK RFC on Encapsulation         
	   - INFO RFC on Address Resolution 
        - INFO RFC on Architecture 

Open mic discussion
        - Protocol issues?
        - Deployment issues?
        - Does this need an IETF WG?

References:

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ip-dvb/

Requirements for transmission of IP datagrams over MPEG-2/DVB networks. 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-req-03.txt

Simple Encapsulation for transmission of IP datagrams over MPEG-2/DVB
networks.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-clausen-ipdvb-enc-01.txt
              
Ultra Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) for transmission of IP datagrams
over MPEG-2/DVB networks. 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-ule-00.txt 

Address Resolution for IP datagrams over MPEG-2 networks.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt

To subscribe to the mailing list:

send "subscribe ip-dvb" in the BODY part of an email to "[email-masked]"

The mailing list archives are at: 
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ip-dvb/archive

------- End of Forwarded Message