Subject: [Teas] IANA & value assignments in drafts

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:24:32 -0500

Hi,
    I was asked off list to clarify a comment on made on this draft in a
previous meeting related to IANA assignments.  My comment was something
along the lines of don't ask IANA to assign values for fields introduced
in a document -- this is a general rule.  To clarify:

All new fields defined in a document need to be fully defined: in
narrative form, in conformance terms, and permitted values.  As these
fields are new, it is *inappropriate* to ask IANA to assign these
initial values.  It is perfectly reasonable for a draft to request  the
establishment of new registries for future cataloging and management of
field values. Requesting the establishment of a registry does not impact
the requirement to fully define each new field introduced in a document.

Also WRT suggested values for new value assignments in *existing*
registries:  Unless you have a specific technical reason to suggest a
specific value, *don't suggest any value*.  If you do suggest a value,
please provide the technical reason for this suggestion in the IANA
section, e.g. "Value suggested to maintain alignment with value used in
XYZ field of the ABC Object."

Finally, IANA section MUST follow RFC5226.  If you want to see an
example, look at a recently published TEAS or CCAMP RFC.

Lou

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 20:09:06 -0000

What Lou sed.

You might like to look at two collections of information on the RTG Area wiki

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/WikiStart#CodePointsInternet-Draft
sandEarlyImplementation
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/CodePointGuidelines

Please recall that this is a wiki and wikis can be edited by *you*

Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Teas [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Lou Berger
> Sent: 24 February 2015 14:25
> To: TEAS WG
> Subject: [Teas] IANA & value assignments in drafts
> 
> Hi,
> _______________________________________________
> Teas mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/teas

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:47:12 -0500

Thanks Adrian,
    Fell free to lift text that I sent if you think it's appropriate to
add to the wikis...

Lou