Subject: [Teas] Fwd: [mpls] discussion on a common top for yang models related to MPLS

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 13:44:59 +0800

Working Groups,

This mail was sent on the mpls wg mailing list to trigger a discussion.
It hs been pointed out that participants in other wg's might also be
interested to contribute to this discussion. I therefore forward to the
most likely wg's.

Plese remember that the discussion is intended to take place on the
mpls wg list ([email-masked]).

/Loa

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [mpls] discussion on a common top for yang models related to MPLS
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:34:21 +0800
From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

All,

We have had discussion among the MPLS, TEAS and CCAMP working group
chairs - but as individual contributors, with chair half off. We agree
that this discussion should be taken to the working group(s).

The YANG models for MPLS and GMPLS are quite rapidly taking shape. MPLS
and GMPLS technologies have traditionally been very close, but their
development has been a bit disjoint. For the YANG models we would like
to minimize duplication of models/work and think the structure should
have a common the top,  with specific technologies augmented below.

The structure in general as well as the YANG model at the common top
needs to be the generic and aligned across the output of at least
CCAMP, MPLS and TEAS working groups. There has been good work
progressing on TE specifics, e.g., see draft-ietf-teas-yang-te, but
other areas remain. On the LDP side of the house draft-raza-mpls-
ldp-mldp-yang is rapidly progressing towards working group adoption.

The models defined in draft-saad-mpls-static-yang could serve as the
start on filling some of the remaining gaps; covering core xMPLS
definitions and static LSPs.  There are a number of ways to make the
structure intuitive and generic, and serve as a foundation for
technology specific models.  -- This effort can be viewed as the same
type of work that was done for TE, see draft-ietf-teas-yang-te.

We think it would be a good idea  if the authors and the  WG considers
how to structure xMPLS definitions and static LSPs models to best
foster common use across the different related models being worked on
across  different WGs.

We are sending this mail in hopes of getting this discussion started.

Thank you,
Lou and Loa
-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64