Subject: [Teas] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 23:44:50 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm confused by this SHOULD.

   The configurable periodic
   retransmission interval for this slower timer SHOULD be less than the
   regular refresh interval.

Could you help me understand why someone would want to set the "slower timer"
to be shorter than the regular refresh timer?

---

From: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 23:41:32 -0400

Spencer, Hi!

Thanks for the review. We just posted a new revision (-07) to address the
Gen-Art review comments. Please go through the new diffs (
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec-07)
and let us know if additional changes are required.

Please see inline for response to your comment (prefixed VPB).

Regards,
-Pavan

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec/

[VPB] This is because we are advocating the use of a large value for the
regular refresh interval (20 mins is the recommended default). On reaching
the rapid retry limit (rl) for Path/Resv, we need to keep periodically
retransmitting this message at a not so rapid rate (till an ack is
received). This retransmission interval cannot be as large as the regular
refresh interval and has to be reasonably smaller (30 secs is the
recommeded default).

>
> _______________________________________________
> Teas mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/teas
>