Subject: [Teas] Protocol Action: 'Extensions to Resource Reservation Protocol For Fast Reroute of Traffic Engineering GMPLS LSPs' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-teas-gmpls-lsp-fastreroute-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:41:22 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extensions to Resource Reservation Protocol For Fast Reroute of
   Traffic Engineering GMPLS LSPs'
  (draft-ietf-teas-gmpls-lsp-fastreroute-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and
Signaling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-gmpls-lsp-fastreroute/

Technical Summary

This document defines Resource Reservation Protocol - Traffic
Engineering (RSVP-TE) signaling extensions to support Fast Reroute
(FRR) of Packet Switched Capable (PSC) Generalized Multi-Protocol
Label Switching (GMPLS) Label Switched Paths (LSPs).  These signaling
extensions allow the coordination of a bidirectional bypass tunnel
assignment protecting a common facility in both forward and reverse
directions of a co-routed bidirectional LSP.  In addition, these
extensions enable the re-direction of bidirectional traffic onto
bypass tunnels that ensure co-routedness of data paths in the forward
and reverse directions after FRR and avoid RSVP soft-state timeout in
control-plane.

Working Group Summary

 This document moved from the CCAMP WG to TEAS WG as part of the 
routing WG changes. There was some serious debate regarding the 
object-format/procedures defined for co-ordinating bidirectional
bypass tunnel assignment between the downstream and upstream PLRs.
All concerns raised in regard to this have been addressed by the 
authors. The document went through three WG Last Calls before 
being deemed “publication-request” ready as substantial comments
were raised during the first and second Last Calls. 

Document Quality

The base (G)MPLS RSVP protocol has been implemented. The procedures
discussed in this document are compatible with earlier implementations.
While there have been no public statements on implementation, the 
authors are from multiple vendors, and implementation is expected.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Vishnu Pavan Beeram
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard