Subject: [Teas] Status of draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing?

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:41:42 +0100

Hi,

I think there were three questions about
draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing that needed to be answered:

1. How to resolve overlap with draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn?

My understanding is that there has been some rebalancing of material between
the drafts based on two factors:

a.	VPN+ is not just about slicing
b.	There is more material needed to describe the ACTN applicability
than conveniently fits in a subsection of the VPN+ document

I think this issue is resolved. The question was opened on the list last
year, and there were no objections to how the text is now balanced.

2. How to resolve terminology issues with the network slicing work?

We have come a long way with network slicing.
draft-ietf-teas-ietf-network-slices now represents the work-in-progress.

Although there is still work to be done with network slices (and that is
queued with me - sorry), I think we have all the core terminology and
concepts resolved.

draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing has "recently" been updated to
use align the terminology, so I think this issues is resolved.

3. Do we even need an applicability statement?

I think this resolves to "Is it useful? Does the WG want it?"

Of course, the material could be published as a white paper or a blog, but
it does seem to link together a number IETF (particularly TEAS) technologies
and that seems to be valuable.

Perhaps this question is a question for the WG during an adoption poll?

So that leads me to ask whether the chairs are now ready to reconsider an
adoption poll for this document?

Thanks,

Adrian