Subject: RE: QoS in Shared Media

From: "Jay Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 18:07:23 -0700

Well, RPR gives you bandwidth endurance at the link level, a shared
media in this case. On higher level, you may conduct your QoS as
appropriate, Diffserv, Intserv, or else. One does not preclude the other,
IMO.

- jay

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Juha
Heinanen
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 12:01 PM
To: HANSEN CHAN
Cc: Fred Baker; Naidu, Venkata; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: QoS in Shared Media

HANSEN CHAN writes:

 > How about the work in IEEE 802.17 RPR? I believe it will be a
shared-media
 > technology. Does that mean they will have a hard time to achieve QoS
 > guarantees?

last time that i checked, the rpr proposal (based on cisco dpt) had two
classes of service (strict priority and best effort). that is clearly
not adequate for diffserv.  node based fairness applied to the best
effort class.  in diffserv, node based fairness makes sense only for the
highest dp packets in each traffic class.

-- juha

---

From: "Jay Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 18:14:46 -0700

>Well, RPR gives you bandwidth endurance at the link level, a shared

bandwidth *assurance* that is ...., the spelling checker thing ..

- jay

-----Original Message-----

shared-media

-- juha