Subject: RE: QoS in Shared Media

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 07:00:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Juha Heinanen wrote:

> 
> according to your definition even atm supports diffserv since one can
> always use cbr vcs between routers and then let the routers do the
> proper queueing.  for several reasons this is not a good idea.
> 
> -- juha
> 

Juha

Would you care to explain your comment above. I would prefer to do the
queueing in the routers rather than let L2 QoS mechanisms manage the
queueing.

Bora

---

From: "Jay Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:41:27 -0700

Hi Juha,

>jay,
>
>dpt is layer 2 technology and i was talking about diffserv support at
>layer 2, 

I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

>which dpt doesn't properly have.  ethernet, on the other hand,
>does support diffserv also at layer 2, which allows you to build a layer
>2 switched network of any topology and still have proper support for
>diffserv.  

I that case, would you mind elaborating your concerns?

thanks,

- jay