Subject: RE: cr computation

From: Girish Bhat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:26:34 -0700

Essentially there are three steps in setting up a dynamic LSP.
1)TE information is distributed by the IGP.
2) The source of the LSP uses the TE information supplied by the IGP to
computes a path satisfying the constraints.
3) RSVP will signal the LSP along the computed path.

Steps 1 and 3 require interoperability between vendors and hence we have
drafts addressing these issues.
Step 2 does not involve any interoperability issues. Vendors are free to
choose their own algorithm for path computation.

Crank back may be required if the source does not have an up to date
information about the TE topology. I don't know if anyone has addressed this
issue yet.

Girish 

-----Original Message-----
From: Greene, Jeremy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 9:50 AM
To: Te-Wg (E-mail)
Subject: cr computation

In the ospf/isis-te drafts, a method for distributing constraint information
is described without any discussion of path computation. Is that because:

a) It's assumed people can figure out and or want to do their own thing,
such as spf or other? Or is it intended to be covered in separate documents?
b) rsvp would be used hop-by-hop, with the next hop a function of the tspec
and advertised constraints; but if this is true, wouldn't some form of
crank-back be required?

Jeremy

btw, do others find the diff-serv/mpls/te draft set to be rather confusing?
It seems like it should be easier, if not at least (a lot) shorter, to
explain how to: a) map a dscp onto an lsp b) have the lsp indicate the
flow's dscp with and without the shim header c) have, or have not, the lsp
be a diff-serv flow based on the mapped dscp d) use the ospf/isis te lsa to
advertise phbs/dscps and e) request a phb path using rsvp (why tied to
mpls?)

---

From: "Sudhakar Ganti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:19:46 -0400

RE: cr computationCrankback was addressed in the following draft:

draft-iwata-mpls-crankback-00.txt

-Sudhakar
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of Girish Bhat
  Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 2:27 PM
  To: 'Greene, Jeremy'; Te-Wg (E-mail)
  Subject: RE: cr computation

  Girish

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Greene, Jeremy [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 9:50 AM
  To: Te-Wg (E-mail)
  Subject: cr computation

  In the ospf/isis-te drafts, a method for distributing constraint
information
  is described without any discussion of path computation. Is that because:

  a) It's assumed people can figure out and or want to do their own thing,
  such as spf or other? Or is it intended to be covered in separate
documents?
  b) rsvp would be used hop-by-hop, with the next hop a function of the
tspec
  and advertised constraints; but if this is true, wouldn't some form of
  crank-back be required?

  Jeremy

  btw, do others find the diff-serv/mpls/te draft set to be rather
confusing?
  It seems like it should be easier, if not at least (a lot) shorter, to
  explain how to: a) map a dscp onto an lsp b) have the lsp indicate the
  flow's dscp with and without the shim header c) have, or have not, the lsp
  be a diff-serv flow based on the mapped dscp d) use the ospf/isis te lsa
to
  advertise phbs/dscps and e) request a phb path using rsvp (why tied to
  mpls?)

---

From: Balazs Szviatovszki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:46:34 +0200

What is the status of the mentioned draft?

Balazs

---

From: Florian-Daniel Otel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:41:58 +0200 (MEST)

> Balazs

Before spraying whole lists w/ questions about different draft
status please get acuqainted w/ the process of IETF documents
evolution (i.e. relevant working groups, deadlines, status of outdated
drafts and so on).

TIA,

F.

---

From: Atsushi Iwata <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:54:22 +0900

Hi, Balazs

Actually, our draft (draft-iwata-mpls-crankback-00.txt) was improved 
version of draft "draft-fujita-mpls-crldp-crankback-00.txt", which was 
issued on Mar.2000, and "draft-fujita-mpls-crldp-crankback-01.txt" on 
Jul.2000. The basic difference of these drafts are crankback routing 
behaviors of RSVP-TE signaling.

The current status of this draft is still an individual document on CCAMP 
WG, as Kireeti suggested. In order to make this draft WG draft, it requires 
recommendations and requirements from the design team for hierarchical TE. 

Kireeti, could you please let us know the status of this design team.

Thank you.

>draft-iwata-mpls-crankback-00.txt
----------------------------------------------------------------
Atsushi Iwata, Ph.D.
Principal Researcher
Network Architecture TG, Networking Research Labs, NEC Corporation
4-1-1 Miyazaki Miyamae-ku, Kawasaki, 216-8555, Japan
TEL: +81-44-856-2123 (Direct), Fax: +81-44-856-2230 (Direct)
NEC-internal TEL: 8-272-3281, NEC-internal FAX: 8-272-3299
Internet E-mail:     [email-masked]
NEC-internal E-mail: [email-masked]

*** Organization has been a bit changed since Apr.2001 ***

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:58:37 -0700 (PDT)

> Kireeti, could you please let us know the status of this design team.

I know as much as you do :-)

Bert sent out mail June 12 stating that the team has been formed.
That's actually a non-trivial step, considering the number of
volunteers.  The next step, according to Bert:

> We will be sending out a formal charge to the designe team in the next few
> days and expect that they will produce an Internet Draft (well) before
> the ID cutoff for the London IETF meeting.

Kireeti.

---

From: Atsushi Iwata <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:25:13 +0900

Adrian,

Thank you for your feedback. 

You are right. I'll resubmit our draft before the deadline of I-D submission.

Best Regards,

At 08:24 01/06/19 -0400, Adrian Farrel wrote:
>There is a good point here, however.
>
>We need to re-spin the draft to stop it dying as it has already expired.
>
>I have one change - my contact details which should read...
>   Adrian Farrel
>   Movaz Networks, Inc.
>   7926 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 615
>   McLean, VA 22102
>   Voice:  +1 703-847-1719
>   Email:  [email-masked]
>
>Cheers,
>Adrian
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Atsushi Iwata" <[email-masked]>
>To: "Balazs Szviatovszki" <[email-masked]>
>Cc: "Sudhakar Ganti" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "Gerald
>(Jerry) Ash" <[email-masked]>; "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>; "Norihito
>Fujita" <[email-masked]>; "Kireeti Kompella" <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 11:54 PM
>Subject: Re: cr computation
>
>
>> Hi, Balazs
>>