Subject: RE: FW: DT's review of draft-ietf-tewg-mib-06.txt

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:34:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave,

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Dave Thaler wrote:

> > From: Kireeti Kompella [mailto:[email-masked]]
> [...]
> > If you give me a list of criteria for what constitutes an interface,
> > I can try to say how TE tunnels differ.
>
> The simplest criteria I can describe would be:
> 1) If an IP address can be assigned to it, then it's an interface.

I can assign an IP address to a router (router ID).  Does that make
routers interface?

> 2) Else if you can configure a route in a classic IP routing table
> that points across it, then it's an interface.

That seems way too general and very arbitrary.  Can you point me at
an RFC that defines an interface?

> 3) Else it's optional as to whether it's an interface.

Given my druthers, I would not call TE tunnels interfaces.

Kireeti.

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:14:27 -0400

> I can assign an IP address to a router (router ID).  Does that make

In order for a router ID to be a reachable address, most platforms will 
require tat address to be associated with an interface (even if it is a 
loopback interface.)

-- David