Subject: Computing Traffic Matrix from netflow data

From: Jing Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:37:05 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

I'm starting to do up scripts which could be used to
compute traffic matrix (node-to-node). But, I found
it's a little bit troublesome as routing path may
change with time. Also, using (source_ip, dest_ip) is
hard to compute node level metrix because routing
table size is really large and amount of raw data is
huge( my situation, more than 120GB).

Is there anybody has such experience ? Is there any
body would like to share your work?

thanks .

Jing 

=====
Jing Shen

Data Communication Center
HangZhou TeleCom 
HangZhou ZJ 310027
P.R.China

' spamcontrol '

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
150万曲MP3疯狂搜，带您闯入音乐殿堂
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/yisou/music/*http://music.yisou.com/
美女明星应有尽有，搜遍美图、艳图和酷图
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/yisou/image/*http://image.yisou.com
1G就是1000兆，雅虎电邮自助扩容！
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/

---

From: Jennifer Rexford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:39:55 -0500 (EST)

Jing,

> Is there any work on deriving traffic matrix for OSPF area 0?  

If each area is a region, then you could aggregate Netflow meaurements
for traffic entering the region from the edge links and aggregate the
BGP next-hop IP addresses based on the OSPF area of the outgoing router.
That is, you could use the standard approach for estimating the router-
to-router traffic matrix but just aggregate the data for all ingress
routers in the same area and all egress routers in the same area.

> Any work on OSPF optimzation for traffic engineering?

For surveys on this topic, see

  Bernard Fortz, Jennifer Rexford, and Mikkel Thorup, "Traffic
  engineering with traditional IP routing protocols," IEEE 
  Communication Magazine, October 2002.
    http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/ieeecomm02.pdf

  Jennifer Rexford, "Route optimization in IP networks," to appear as
  a chapter in Handbook of Optimization in Telecommunications, Kluwer
  Academic Publishers, 2005.
    http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/opthand04.pdf

and references therein.  The second paper, in particular, has quite
a lot of recent references on optimizing OSPF/IS-IS weights.

-- Jen