Subject: [Time] New Non-WG Mailing List: time--Transport Independent OAM in Multi-Layer network Entity (TIME)

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:13:16 -0700

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/time/current/maillist.html
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/time

Purpose:

The basic concepts of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) 
and the functional roles in monitoring and diagnosing the behavior of 
telecommunications networks have been long term studied at the Layer 1&2 
& Layer 3 levels. The current practice is that many technologies and 
layers have their own OAM protocols. There is little or no re-use of 
software and hardware for each existing OAM protocol. 

Integration of OAM across multiple technologies is extremely difficult. 
When having networks with more than one technology, maintenance and 
troubleshooting are done per technology and layer, operation process can 
be very cumbersome. In many cases it is desirable to have a generic and 
integrated OAM to cover heterogeneous networking technologies.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.