Subject: [ietf-tls] draft-ietf-tls-wireless-00.txt

From: Eric Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:31:45 -0700

What's the status of draft-ietf-tls-wireless-00.txt?  It's recently
expired, but various people here on the TLS list have implied that there
will be a revised version out soon.

I'm writing an I-D to propose using the generic extension mechanisim
from draft-ietf-tls-wireless-00.txt to allow negotiation of a simpler
PRF function, and I'd like to refer to draft-ietf-tls-wireless-00.txt
or its successor.

Also, I've found a small potential problem in draft-ietf-tls-wireless-00.txt.
Section 3.5 (truncated MACs) specifies the following in the "unknown_extensions"
field:

          MACTruncation MACTruncations<0..2^8-1>;

          struct {
              MACAlgorithm mac_type;
              uint16 trucation_size_in_bits
          } MACTruncation;

          enum { null(0), md5(1), sha1(2), (255) } MACAlgorithm;

What's potentially confusing is the MAC specification... what happens 
if sha1 is specified in MACTruncation and the pending ciphersuite is
say TLS_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC2_CBC_40_MD5?  Would md5 or sha1 be used?
Or should MACTruncation.MAC_type always match the hash algorithim in
the pending ciphersuite?

Unless there's a reason why MACTruncation.MAC_type is there, I'd
suggest dropping it and always using the hash that's been negotiated
as part of the ciphersuite.

Eric

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]