Subject: [ietf-tls] Re: London

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jun 2001 22:14:11 -0700

Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does TLS intend to meet in London?
> 
> The extensions draft is interesting, however I'd like to see it (or
> at least the dns_name stuff) codified into TLS 1.1. 
> 
> Rationale: a version rev is more visible, and more likely to get wide
> adoption in clients, which is needed to make dns_name worthwhile.
I don't find this rationale particularly convincing. In my
experience, implementors feel almost no pressure to upgrade their
implementations to newer versions. Look how long it took Microsoft
and Netscape to upgrade from SSLv3 to TLS. 

If there's a lot of market demand for dns_name then implementors
will put it in whether it's a new version or not. If there's no
demand then incrementing the version number will make almost
no difference.

-Ekr

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]