Subject: [TLS] RSA signature padding confusion

From: Jack Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:36:54 -0700

All the SSL/TLS specs (SSLv3 through 1.1) state in one section (4.7,
"Cryptographic Attributes" in the 1.1 draft) that RSA signatures are done with
PKCS #1 block type 0 or type 1, while a later section (8.1.1 in TLS 1.1) only
mentions block type 1 with regards to RSA signatures.

Basically, what's up with this? Can a compliant implementation (in any version
of SSL/TLS) send a block type 0 (ie, no padding at all) signature to the other
side?

All I really know for certain is that OpenSSL acts very surprised if it gets a
signature that doesn't have normal PKCS padding. I looked through EKR's SSL
book for discussion on this last night, and didn't see anything, though maybe I
just missed it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
  Jack

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls