Subject: [TLS] [Fwd: FYI: High Assurance SSL Certificates and Next Meeting]

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:27:53 -0700

All,

  I am forwarding this as some of you may be interested and
Ben gave me permission to do so.  If any of  you on this forum
are interested the contact info is included.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
    Pierre Abelard

"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
===============================================================
Updated 1/26/04
CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827

Subject: High Assurance SSL Certificates and Next Meeting
From: "Benjamin T. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:15:52 -0600

Everyone,

I will be meeting with several Certification Authorities next week in
Boston.  Because of the ISC's work with the Digital Signature Guidelines and
the PKI Assessment Guidelines, I anticipate that they will be asking the ISC
to participate with them and the browser developers in an effort to
develop/refine guidelines for the identity verification to be performed
prior to the issuance of High Assurance SSL Certificates.  Along with our
other projects, we will be discussing this effort at the August meeting in
Chicago--particularly on Thursday, August 4th. To better understand the
issue with SSL certificates, read this article -  What Is The Point Of
Encryption If You Don't Know Who For? by Dr. Colin Walter | 2005-06-21   -
http://www.webpronews.com/it/security/wpn-23-20050621WhatisthePointofEncrypt
ionifyouDontKnowWhoFor.html.   If you are particularly interested in this
work, please e-mail me so I can start a list of volunteers.  Even if you
can't come, I am sure there will be ways that you can contribute.  

For those of you who missed the information about our August meeting, here
are the details:  

NEXT MEETING
Wednesday, August 3 through Friday, August 5, we will be meeting in the
Jackson Park Room at the Chicago Westin River North Hotel, 320 North
Dearborn St.  Meetings will run from 8:30 to 5:00.  We will let you know
when we have a final agenda.  However, we expect to have at least one
lunchtime speaker each day, and we anticipate discussing, among other
interesting topics:
* verification/authentication of business/organizational identities for
electronic authentication/PKI;
* protection of consumer/customer information and corporate financial data; 
* cybersecurity, individual privacy, homeland security and critical
infrastructure protection; and
* results of our membership survey and other related committee issues.

You do not need to register for the ABA annual meeting to attend our
committee meeting, although we would encourage it.  A calendar of events
hosted by the Section of Science & Technology Law is at
http://www.abanet.org/scitech/annual/brochure.pdf.  Please peruse the
descriptions of the presentations and pick some to attend.  

I don't think we have any special rates unless you go through the ABA's
Housing Bureau, and to do that you have to register for the ABA convention.
I have been told by someone who was able to make arrangements directly with
the Westin (and got a rate of $129 plus taxes), but the normal rate is $239.
Through the ABA my rate was $169 plus tax. For lodging arrangements, here
are the phone numbers for the Westin River North and a few other hotels
nearby: 
 
Westin River North 
320 North Dearborn St.
877-866-9216

House Of Blues Hotel 
333 N Dearborn St.
312-245-0333 

Marina City Hotel Enterprises 
333 N Dearborn St,  
312-329-1998 

Amalfi Hotel 
20 W Kinzie St,  (0.09 miles away) 
312-828-0828 

Renaissance Chicago Hotel 
1 W Wacker Dr,  (0.10 miles away) 
312-372-7200, 312-744-1180 
 
Great Lakes Spa Suites 
15 West Hubbard Street,  (0.13 miles away) 
312-527-1311 

Premier Luxury Suites 
200 N Dearborn St,  (0.15 miles away) 
312-578-0774, 312-578-9937, 312-321-6247, 312-379-1917 
 
Courtyard-Chicago Downtown 
30 E Hubbard St,  (0.18 miles away) 
312-329-2500 

Clarion Executive Plaza Hotel 
71 E Wacker Dr,  (0.18 miles away) 
312-346-7100 

Hampton Inn Suites 
33 W Illinois,  (0.19 miles away) 
312-832-0330 

Club Quarters Wacker Michigan 
75 E Wacker Dr,  (0.19 miles away) 
312-357-6400 

Courtyard by Marriott 
30 E Hubbard,  (0.19 miles away) 
312-329-2500 

Hard Rock Hotel 
65 E Wacker Pl,  (0.21 miles away) 
312-345-1000 

Wyndham Hotels & Resorts 
333 N Michigan Ave # 2400,  (0.26 miles away) 
312-558-1971 

Hilton Garden Inn 
10 E Grand Ave,  (0.27 miles away) 
312-595-0000 

Hyatt Regency Chicago 
151 E. Wacker Dr.,  (0.27 miles away) 
312-565-1234 

Homewood Suites 
40 E Grand St,  (0.28 miles away) 
312-644-2222

Your e-mail address will only be used within the ABA and its entities.
We do not sell or rent e-mail addresses to anyone outside the ABA.

To change your e-mail address or remove your name from any future general distribution e-mails you can call us at 1-800-285-2221 or write to:

   American Bar Association
   Service Center
   321 N Clark Street
   Chicago, IL  60610

To unsubscribe send the following in the body of a message to
[email-masked]  - unsubscribe st-isc

To review our privacy statement, go to
http://www.abanet.org/privacy_statement.html.

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls