Subject: [TLS] Microsoft user mapping extension

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:25:38 -0000

At the TLS meeting yesterday I presented our plans to submit an ID on
our new user mapping extension to be published as an Informational RFC.
This RFC will define both a new TLS extension as well as a new handshake
message. The purpose is to allow the client to send a name hint to the
server in the form of a UPN (Universal Principal Name) through which the
server can locate the users account in Active Directory.

I got the question yesterday why we don's simply send the UPN in a
client hello and thus avoid defining a new handshake message.

The reason is that we don't want to expose the users UPN until we are
clear that the server understands this extension and that the server is
one of those that are trusted by the client to receive this information.

We plan to have this new ID ready for submission next week.

Stefan Santesson
Program Manager, Standards Liaison
Windows Security

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls