Subject: [TLS] Closing on TLS Charter

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:22:58 -0800

I think we pretty much have consensus on the following charter.  If
anyone objects, or I missed your input, please speak up before Mon Dec
7:

-Ekr

Goals and Milestones:
The TLS Working Group has completed a series of specifications that
describe the Transport Layer Security protocol versions 1.0 and 1.1,
extensions to the protocol, and new ciphersuites to be used with TLS.

The primary goal of the WG is to publish a revision of TLS, version 1.2,
that removes the protocol's dependency on the MD5 and SHA-1 digest
algorithms, which have been either wholly or partially compromised by
recent research.  The TLS WG will also work on new authenticated
encryption modes for TLS, including modes based on counter mode
encryption (CTR) and combined encryption/authentication modes, and may
define major new cipher suites for TLS for this purpose.  In the
preparation of TLS 1.2, the Working Group will attempt to avoid
gratuitous changes to TLS 1.1.

Goals and Milestones
-------------------
Done	  	Agreement on charter and issues in current draft.
Done	  	Final draft for Secure Transport Layer Protocol ('STLP')
Done	  	Working group 'Last Call'
Done	  	Submit to IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
Done	  	First revised draft of TLS specification 
3/06		First draft of TLS 1.2 specification, including
		CTR mode cipher suites
3/06		First draft of specification for cipher suites with
		combined encryption/authentication modes
12/06		Submit specification of TLS 1.2 specification to
		IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
12/06		Submit specification of cipher suites with
		combined encryption/authentication modes
		to IESG for publication, with at least one
		of these suites to be Proposed Standard.

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls