Subject: [TLS] The IESG Approved Recharter of the TLS WG Today

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:51:16 -0500

On the IESG Telechat today, the IESG approved the revised charter of 
the TLS WG.  The approved charter is below.

Russ

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Transport Layer Security (tls)
==============================

Chair(s):
Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Pasi Eronen <[email-masked]>

Security Area Director(s):
Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Russ Housley <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-tls/mail-archive

Description of Working Group:

The TLS Working Group was established in 1996 to standardize a
'transport layer' security protocol. The working group began with SSL
version 3.0. The TLS Working Group has completed a series of
specifications that describe the Transport Layer Security protocol
versions 1.0 and 1.1, extensions to the protocol, and new
ciphersuites to be used with TLS.

The primary goal of the WG is to publish a revision of TLS, version 1.2,
that removes the protocol's dependency on the MD5 and SHA-1 digest
algorithms, which have been either wholly or partially compromised by
recent research. The TLS WG will also work on new authenticated
encryption modes for TLS, including modes based on counter mode
encryption (CTR) and combined encryption/authentication modes, and
may define major new cipher suites for TLS for this purpose. In the
preparation of TLS 1.2, the WG will attempt to avoid gratuitous
changes to TLS 1.1.

Goals and Milestones:

Done     Final draft for Secure Transport Layer Protocol ('STLP')
Done     TLS 1.1 specification
3/2006   First draft of TLS 1.2 specification, including
              CTR mode cipher suites
3/2006   First draft of specification for cipher suites with
              combined encryption/authentication modes
12/2006  Submit specification of TLS 1.2 specification to
              IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
12/2006  Submit specification of cipher suites with
              combined encryption/authentication modes
              to IESG for publication, with at least one
              of these suites to be Proposed Standard.

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls